New owner confusion

Welcome to the forum, feel free to say hi and show off your installation photos and share your experience.
RogerC

Hi Dave. As per your instructions re: foxESScloud.com, I’m struggling to see the “button under ‘operation’” that leads to the page, the screenshot of which you annotated with red and yellow circles. Please would you send me a screenshot of the preceding screen? 👍🏻
Dave Foster

Ok, yes it's this one
Untitled.jpg
On the left menu, click on Device, then Inverter underneath - it should show you the list on the right and click on the blue 'button thing' where i've ringed it in red
RogerC

Hello Dave and any other interested parties. Just when you thought you’d heard the last of me!!

Update:
• I’ve been quite ill with bronchitis, on the mend now, still in Spain, holiday has become convalescence🙂
• I’ve had a Wi-Fi extender fitted at home, it’s as near the inverter as possible but the signal strength hasn’t improved.
What do I need to do? If it’s a reboot, can you remind me of the correct way to do it please?

I’ll be happy to get “back in harness” on the PV front, it’s been an interesting voyage of discovery so far. 👍🏻
Dave Foster

Hi sorry to hear you've not been well - hopefully you are in the best place for it.

The wifi extender is best to be placed half way or slightly over that between the inverter and the router (not close by) - then the important thing is to check that the wifi extender is working ok and has the same name 'ssid' as your normal router.

If someone can get access to the inverter the wifi dongle is sticking out of the bottom downwards towards the middle (with a red light on it) - depending on the type it normally is held in with a screw collar, if you undo that collar and pull the dongle downwards it will unplug - then leave it out for 10 seconds and plug it back in again and tighten the collar. It starts with a rapid red flash to say it isn't connected to your wifi and after a short while should settle down to a slow red flash, with an occasional green pulse (every 10-15 seconds).

Failing that the inverter power down sequence is to open the PV isolator switch, open the AC isolator switch, on the batteries press the power button and wait for the inverter screen to go blank.
The restart sequence is the reverse, so that is press the power button on the battery, then close the AC isolator, then finally close the PV isolator - it will say checking for approximately a minute and after a series of clicks go back to 'normal'

There is a video hereviewtopic.php?t=5 that shows what the various DC/AC switches might look like

Also just to add - even without wifi, you can get to the 'soc' settings if you have access to the inverter front panel, i'll document that process as well.

At the inverter panel press the 'tick' button (second from right), choose 'Settings' and it will ask for a password, that will be 0,0,0,0 (just press enter 4 times) - in the Settings, select the 'Battery' menu and in the battery menu select Min SoC and change it to 10, then select On Grid MinSoc (this is 'battery reserve') and change it to 10 and that's it both settings are now 10% and it should be good to go.
RogerC

Hi Dave.

I managed to improve the signal strength to the inverter, and tried again to set those 2 parameters as you described earlier.

You previously said “Also double check that you have no charge times set.” I assume you were referring to the settings shown in my screenshot 1? The one setting that was already there was the lower one, and I added the upper one. Did I do this right? I assume so because I then saw that the Quick Settings had changed to what you said they needed to be.

That was yesterday. Today I looked and the 2 settings are back at 0% (screenshot 2)!! Why did they reset?

Also, just now I looked at the app and it’s still drawing on the grid although the panels are generating more than enough (screenshot 3).

I’m getting very discouraged
Attachments
IMG_0729.png
IMG_0728.png
IMG_0727.png
Dave Foster

I think the reason they are at 0% is the same reason as before, it was unable to read the battery settings from the inverter.

If you have installed a wifi extender, depending on the make it will usually create a new network called {whatever your old one was)_EXT - unless it was changed by the person that installed it.

If the datalogger has not been connected to the new _EXT name, it will still be trying to connect to your router which probably explains why it's failing.

But looking at your charge time 1, that's the reason why your battery isn't being used - it has been set to 00:00-23:59 (all day) but the charge from grid switch is disabled and when set with a time period like that the battery will neither charge or discharge.

The rules for Charge Periods are -

If you do not want to charge your battery from grid on a low tariff but want to use the battery normally it must be showing 00:00-00:00

If you do want to charge your battery from grid on a low tariff, it should be set for that time period and the charge from grid switch enabled.

If you do not want to charge your battery from grid, or discharge your battery you set a charge period with the grid switch disabled.

i.e. you do not need to set any charge periods to charge your battery from solar, it will do that anyway if it is in the workmode 'Self Use' which yours is.
Dave Foster

Just a quick follow up, I was on a quarterly update call with Fox last night and it was mentioned they are looking into a problem that is showing the battery soc's at 0% for some users - so this could well be a bug either in their cloud or the app - i'm not sure which yet, but I thought I best mention it as it's probably driving you nuts.

NB: you do still need to remove that charge period for your batteries to discharge correctly.
RogerC

Hi Dave. Thanks for the update. I don’t think I’ve got a problem with the router signal strength at the inverter, it’s showing 3 bars on the app.

I know what you mean about the SSID business, but I’ve got a “mesh” setup, and the new bit of kit is called a “node”, it isn’t an extender and the SSID stays the same, so mobile devices just latch onto the node(router) with the strongest signal as you move around. At least, that’s my (limited) understanding of the technology.

I have to say that the app wording is confusing anyway. The Grid Charge Setting says “charge from grid disabled” all the time, whether the toggle is off or on 🤔. I assume it needs to be on but
when I switch it to “on” (and see a “success” message), if I switch away from that screen then go back again, the toggle has reset itself to the “off” position