Fox ess hybrid 10.5 wifi problems

Gary Owen

Hi can anybody give me some advice to connect WiFi to get inverter online and how to connect inverter to fox 2 app on phone. I have followed instructions ver 1 upto part 3 configuration OK Then when I go onto app I ant get any further. Thanks Gary
Dave Foster

So there are 2 different actions there, firstly connect the inverter datalogger to your wifi and secondly add the inverter to the app.

Starting with the inverter datalogger, is the red light flashing quickly or slowly - if it’s a slow pulse with the occasional green flash then you have connected it to the wifi - but if it’s flashing red quickly it isn’t connected.

If it’s not connected, what happens when you try and connect it - you should connect to the dataloggers ssid ‘W-XXXXXX’ and enter the mtmt2020 password at which point you should now be connected to it, then opening a browser on your device and going to 192.168.1.1 should give you a screen that allows you to select your routers SSID and enter password - do you get that far?.

I have found that on the device you are using (particularly if its apple) it is best to tell it forget your normal routers connection as it keeps breaking off the datalogger and going back to that as it has internet.

When you get the datalogger connected you need to create a user account and assign your datalogger serial number to it - this is best done on the Foxesscloud.com website rather than the app.
Gary Owen

It is flashing red quickly. I get as far as connecting in browser and it finds my home WiFi but when I save it constantly fails.thanks Gary
Screenshot_20240619_203308_Samsung Internet.jpg
Gary Owen

I am using a Samsung android phone to do this and I am turning off automatic connect WiFi and selecting manually.
Dave Foster

ok, thanks for that - it does appear to be failing to join the network, I guess you've double checked the obvious things like the password is precisely as set i.e. O not 0 (zero) and there are no full stops anywhere in it etc..

The only other thing I can think of is , some it gets confused with some routers / extenders as they have both wifi bands (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) on the same SSID - the datalogger can only connect to 2.4Ghz - if possible can you try and disable the 5Ghz band or rename it so it has a different SSID to the 2.4Ghz band.

I have installed one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Extend ... B08V5J8MMT and it is rock solid, it's configured with it's own wifi name 'inverter', i've disabled the 5Ghz band and it's only used for the inverter - but it just connects up to my wifi mesh using WPS so if I ever change anything I don't have to modify the inverter datalogger settings.
Gary Owen

Hi Dave
I have managed to get the inverter and data logger onto my cloud 2 app first go today. I have tried loads of times to get the WiFi on line with no luck it initializes ok but fails to save. I have tried on a laptop with Google chrome and Microsoft. The inverter is in a building 30mts from my house so I have installed a tp link external wifi ariel which is only 2.4g. I have checked all the passwords and they are OK.
Thanks Gary
Dave Foster

Hmmmm, confusing.

So just a couple of thoughts - have you tried connecting your phone direct to the extenders wifi to prove it can accept a connection and give internet access

and the only other thought would be to simplify the name of your wifi extender and remove the '_' characters - i've never tried it with anything other than normal alpha characters and whilst it's clutching at straws it might be worth trying it to discount it.

If that doesn't work I would suggest you email Fox service and see if they can suggest anything, as failing that it might need a new datalogger.
Gary Owen

Hi Dave
Finally just got working after 50 attempts it was very slow and timing out
Thanks for your help.I will have a play around with it over weekend and come back with more questions if needed. Thanks Gary
Judy01

Dave Foster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:58 am
The only other thing I can think of is , some it gets confused with some routers / extenders as they have both wifi bands (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) on the same SSID - the datalogger can only connect to 2.4Ghz - if possible can you try and disable the 5Ghz band or rename it so it has a different SSID to the 2.4Ghz band.
Hello again Dave

I am about to change my broadband services and I anticipate the problems with reconnecting to 5G wifi, which you mentioned above.

You suggested a wifi Extender, dual band, so my question is how would this work...
Have I understood it correctly. The extender will plugs into my new 5G wifi router, I can then change the settings on the Extender to 2G without impacting my main router wifi settings? And then connect Fox datalogger remotely to wifi Extender direct?

Very much appreciated.

Judy

FoxESS S2000- G2
(grid tied, no storage sadly)
Dave Foster

Judy01 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:52 pm
Dave Foster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:58 am
Hello again Dave

I am about to change my broadband services and I anticipate the problems with reconnecting to 5G wifi, which you mentioned above.

You suggested a wifi Extender, dual band, so my question is how would this work...
Have I understood it correctly. The extender will plugs into my new 5G wifi router, I can then change the settings on the Extender to 2G without impacting my main router wifi settings? And then connect Fox datalogger remotely to wifi Extender direct?

Very much appreciated.

Judy

FoxESS S2000- G2
Hi Judy,

If at all possible the very easiest way is if you can change the new broadband routers wifi to have the same ssid name and password as your current router then the inverter dongle ‘should’ re-connect automatically.

Failing that to explain the wifi extender, it doesn’t plug into the broadband router it plugs in to a spare mains socket somewhere in-between your router and the inverter and it connects wirelessly to the router. It then broadcasts it’s own wifi signal with an ssid name and password you specify on 2.4Ghz only.

The setup is easy as they talk both 2.4&5Ghz and you use the routers WPS button to connect it - once thats done you go into the config of the wifi extender, set it to just use 2.4Ghz only and create a new wifi ssid name and password that the extender will broadcast for the inverter to connect to.

In theory you could set this to the same name as your old router with the same password and you shouldn’t have to change the settings on your inverters dongle; unless you want to give it a totally new name in which case you would have to go through the dongle setup and enter the name of your wifi extender and its password.

Once you’ve done this, if you ever change broadband provider again - all you have to do is go through the WPS setup on the router and wifi extender which is normally just the pressing of a button on each.

This is similar to the one I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Exten ... B08V5J8MMT
Judy01

Hi Dave

Thanks for your speedy response.
So double checking, at the mo I split my router l to create a dedicated 2G snd 5G network, creating havoc with the service. I am hoping the extender solution will eliminate the need to do that. Is that correct?

Really appreciated thanks..

Judy
FoxESS S2000- G2
Dave Foster

Judy01 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:11 am Hi Dave

Thanks for your speedy response.
So double checking, at the mo I split my router l to create a dedicated 2G snd 5G network, creating havoc with the service. I am hoping the extender solution will eliminate the need to do that. Is that correct?

Really appreciated thanks..

Judy
FoxESS S2000- G2
Yes, absolutely you don't have to change anything on the router other than press the WPS button to link the extender :)
Judy01

Yes, absolutely you don't have to change anything on the router other than press the WPS button to link the extender :)
Brill! Thank you Dave :D