Force Charge/Discharge on AC1 / Intelligent Octopus Go integration

grahamc

Hi all,

First post (apologies for the length)...

Does anyone know the current status of integration of the AC1 with Intelligent Octopus Go?

I've started seeing "Works with Octopus" appear next to adverts for FoxESS inverters, but I can find no further information. The latest from Octopus is that they're working on it.

On this page (where I bought the FoxESS system) it suggests that the FoxESS inverters integrate with Octopus Flux. However, there is no further information. I have reached out to them.
https://gesolutionsuk.co.uk/octopus-flu ... -benefits/

Lack of integration causes two issues:
  • I can't take advantage of the additional charging schedule off peak charging times or free electricity times outside of the normal off-peak hours as the battery continues to discharge when I enter those periods rather than charging from the grid.
  • I can't take full advantage of the "Saving Sessions" as there seems to be no easy way to force the inverter to grid export on an adhoc basis.
Do you have any information regarding integration with Intelligent Octopus Go (if available) or when it might be coming?

Failing that...

Is there any easy way in the app or foxesscloud to force:
  • ad hoc charge from grid during free saving sessions or when the car charging schedule gives slots outside the normal 23:30-05:30 hours
  • ad hoc force discharge during saving session windows
Many thanks,
Graham
--
FoxESS AC-1-5.0-E Inverter
FoxESS ECS Series: 1x FoxESS CM2900, 6x CS2900 batteries
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
aardnebby

Hi there, Octopus Flux customer here.

I've manually set my charging period from 02:05 to 04:55 (with Enable Charge From Grid set) for the cheap Flux rate. I can manually update this on a day to day basis either from the web interface or the app to take advantage of any ad-hoc cheaper rates.

However unfortunately, as far as I am aware there is no supported way to force export during the saving sessions at this time.

If there is something that works with this, please do let me know too!
calum

With the H1 inverter, if you're on the latest firmware you have the option to use "strategy periods" which Tony goes into much more detail about here on his Github repo. I'm guessing the AC1 will at some point (if it hasn't already) get similar functionality.

If you have the possibility of connecting your inverter to Home Assistant, this gives you more options because you can then automate the various work modes and "strategy periods".

I think calling this possibility "works with Octopus" is a bit much on the part of that supplier, but my experience is that most suppliers / installers are basically electricians, and are pretty fuzzy when it gets to the details of real integration between a tariff like Flux, and a given battery system.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
aardnebby

Ooh good to know, will have to get that update done - any recommended method? The web form to contact Fox is throwing errors right now.
Dave Foster

aardnebby wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:57 pm Ooh good to know, will have to get that update done - any recommended method? The web form to contact Fox is throwing errors right now.
If you email service.uk@fox-ess.com with your inverter serial number and upgrade request they usually sort it within 24 hours.
aardnebby

Much appreciated, thanks!
grahamc

Are the latest firmware version numbers /release notes published anywhere?
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
Dave Foster

grahamc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:22 pm Are the latest firmware version numbers /release notes published anywhere?
No, they have to be looked up on the Foxcloud but you need agent access - what inverter / batteries do you have ?
grahamc

7x FoxESS HV2900 batteries
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
Dave Foster

grahamc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:06 pm FoxESS AC-1-5.0-E Inverter
7x FoxESS HV2900 batteries
I assume you mean HV2600 batteries (there is no HV2900), or ECS2900 ? - and are they V1 or V2 ?
grahamc

Hi, sorry, yes ECS2900 (1x CM2900, 6x CS2900).

I assume v2, but there is no version number on the labels.
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
Dave Foster

For the ECS2900-v2 the BMU (slave) is showing as 1.09 and BCU (master) is showing as 1.011 - you can see the versions from your inverter panel, by going to About, Bat Ver

On the AC1/(H1) firmware the Master latest is V1.63 and the Manager 1.70
grahamc

It doesn't look like I can use Strategy schedules as the referenced blog suggests that you need to be on 1.68/1.70 for that.

Here's hoping that there are further updates soon.
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
Dave Foster

grahamc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:00 pm It doesn't look like I can use Strategy schedules as the referenced blog suggests that you need to be on 1.68/1.70 for that.

Here's hoping that there are further updates soon.
What versions are you showing?, just to confirm when the blog says 1.68/1.70 it is referring to manager versions, if you are on Manager 1.68 or 1.70 you should have strategy schedules.
grahamc

Ah, I thought that referred to Master version, not manager version. I'm on manager v1.70. thanks.
Dave Foster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:11 pm
What versions are you showing?, just to confirm when the blog says 1.68/1.70 it is referring to manager versions, if you are on Manager 1.68 or 1.70 you should have strategy schedules.
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
grahamc

Hopefully this works for tomorrow's saving session...

Do I need to add the "self use" times if I'm already set to self use by default?
Attachments
savingsession.png
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
Dave Foster

It returns to self-use when it has finished but as it deletes your normal charge periods when it is enabled, I prefer to disable it once it has finished and then reset my normal charge period and work modes manually.
Ched

During the Winter Cash back system I'm assuming that as I'm on Flux and use virtually nothing from the grid during 4 to 7pm I can't really 'earn' anything.
Reading this am I correct in assuming that if I allow some discharge to the grid I can 'earn' from the scheme? I'm on 1.70 fw so can discharge to grid but I don't have Tony's code in my HA.

So can we get paid a decent amount per kw discharge to grid on octopus flux with the winter cash back scheme and if so what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help.
Dave Foster

Ched wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:29 pm During the Winter Cash back system I'm assuming that as I'm on Flux and use virtually nothing from the grid during 4 to 7pm I can't really 'earn' anything.
Reading this am I correct in assuming that if I allow some discharge to the grid I can 'earn' from the scheme? I'm on 1.70 fw so can discharge to grid but I don't have Tony's code in my HA.

So can we get paid a decent amount per kw discharge to grid on octopus flux with the winter cash back scheme and if so what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help.
If you opt in to the saving session, the current saver rules say they will pay you for any export above your normal export - so if you normally export 1kwh between 5pm and 6pm, but during a saving session you export 3kwh, they will pay you for the extra 2kw at the saver session rate per kwh on top of your normal export tariff.

Tomorrows session is 3200 octopoints (£4) per kwh so it is well worth charging your batteries beforehand at 30p and force discharging at £4 per kwh
grahamc

I've created another template for normal use that essentially mirrors the 2330-0530 force charge, so will enable that one tomorrow after the saving session.

I will probably create templates for EV charging schedule (for additional off-peak hours) and the free electric. I will just need to tweak the hours in the templates before I apply them.
Dave Foster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:26 pm It returns to self-use when it has finished but as it deletes your normal charge periods when it is enabled, I prefer to disable it once it has finished and then reset my normal charge period and work modes manually.
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
grahamc

That's my understanding too. I've set an hour in the early afternoon to force charge, hoping to dump 15kWh (less my own usage) back to the grid.
Dave Foster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 pm
Ched wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:29 pm During the Winter Cash back system I'm assuming that as I'm on Flux and use virtually nothing from the grid during 4 to 7pm I can't really 'earn' anything.

Thanks for any help.
If you opt in to the saving session, the current saver rules say they will pay you for any export above your normal export - so if you normally export 1kwh between 5pm and 6pm, but during a saving session you export 3kwh, they will pay you for the extra 2kw at the saver session rate per kwh on top of your normal export tariff.

Tomorrows session is 3200 octopoints (£4) per kwh so it is well worth charging your batteries beforehand at 30p and force discharging at £4 per kwh
--
Lux Hybrid 3.6K Inverter
9x 320W JA Solar panels
Tesla
Octopus Intelligent Go
Ched

Dave Foster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 pm

Thanks for any help.

Thanks very much for confirming that.
samw

grahamc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:16 pm Hopefully this works for tomorrow's saving session...

Do I need to add the "self use" times if I'm already set to self use by default?
Graham, I have searched and searched but cannot find an area in the foxesscloud.com site, or the FoxCloud App, that looks like this, or the screenshots from the (very useful and informative!) wiki here https://github.com/TonyM1958/HA-FoxESS- ... #schedules

Do you or anyone have a URL (without any personal data) that might help me for this Schedule Strategy configuration area?

I have attempted to set it in the 'remote settings' on both the web UI and app, but managed to both not force a discharge for the last saver session, and then also NOT charge overnight. Both very annoying, so trying to get it sorted.

----
FoxESS H1-5.0-E
FoxESS ECS4300. 1 x Master + 5 x Slave
Approx 6kW PV
----
FoxESS H1-5.0-E
FoxESS ECS4300. 1 x Master + 5 x Slave
Approx 6kW PV
Dave Foster

On the website click the link circled in red and it will go to the scheduler, but if you don't have up to date firmware it won't work - you need Manager 1.70, Master 1.60
111.jpg
HSC85

Hi

Did you manage to resolve the first of your queries:
I can't take advantage of the additional charging schedule off peak charging times or free electricity times outside of the normal off-peak hours as the battery continues to discharge when I enter those periods rather than charging from the grid.
I am trying to take advantage of the additional charging off peak but I am also draining my battery.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks