Lost option for Force Charge

spmaid

I noticed last week the option to select a force charge (as in not use the battery) disappeared from the WebGUI, and now I note it has gone from the mobile app too. Anyone else seeing, or know why? I would use this if I thought I didnt quite have enough to get through the night, so I'd use grid between say 00:30 and 04:30 but didnt want a battery charge, or, if I am needing to charge the car over night to prevent taking from battery. All I can do now is force charge from grid and annoyingly, as I had set it to 'force charge' it is now stuck and I can't see anyway to now change this! Why would they remove this?

Any pointers? (other than complain to the rather unresponsive service team)
canton7

See

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foxessownersgroup/permalink/1862360824146091/
  • Both times set to midnight: Charge period disabled
  • Times set but "Enable charge from grid" disabled: battery won't discharge but won't charge from grid. The same as checking "Enable force charge" previously
  • Times set and "Enable charge from grid" enabled: battery will charge from grid. Same as checking both "Enable force charge" and "Enable charge from grid" preciously
spmaid

Thank you for that, sorry, I don't go anywhere near Facebook :-( I shall have a play this evening. Seems an odd UI change, although, the terminology before wasn't great either.
rhodesmjr67

Seeing the same issue, I have raised a support ticket, but I'm not holding my breath. My inverter still seems to be working as before i.e. charges car from grid overnight on cheap Octopus tariff, but does not top up battery, so we can store the solar.
calum

It's not an issue as such, in that you can still set it to charge (or NOT discharge), they've just changed the interface for that in an odd way.

From a user experience POV I think it's terrible design, but you can still do what you could before.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
graham

I didn't think this issue of not discharging mattered to me at the time, but thinking about it, maybe it does.

So, I see that if I set either of the "Enable charge from grid" toggles for some set period, the battery will charge from the grid and not discharge in that period. But is it possible to set it to neither charge nor discharge for some period, i.e. retain whatever charge is has at say 00:30 hrs and supply the load only from the grid until say 05:30 hrs? I'd then want to charge from the grid from 05:30 to 07:30 or the preset max SoC, whichever comes first.

The reason I ask is perhaps not of great importance: it's just that it seems inefficient to draw power from the battery only to put it back from the grid, when the load might be simply be supplied directly from the grid anyway. As an aside, it seems to me that the inefficiency in charging to max SoC first, e.g. starting from 00:30, and then discharging after, is the same as discharging and then re-charging, just a bit less obvious.

Graham
Graham Fountain
canton7

Set a time, do not enable the toggle, as described above. Then it won't charge from the grid, and won't discharge.
graham

canton7 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:08 pm Set a time, do not enable the toggle, as described above. Then it won't charge from the grid, and won't discharge.
Ah, that's easy, if a bit less than obvious. Thanks

Graham
Graham Fountain
grantwr

Thanks all for this info, it helped me a lot to understand it.
This little table helped me visualise the settings.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 11.49.56.png
Paul Wildsmith

I need advice with an associated question regarding the soc settings.

The first soc I think it's clear, whatever it's set to, say 10%, the battery won't discharge further than that.

But for the soc on gird. Is that the value the grid will charge to, or the max it will charge to? For example, if 10% will it only charge of the battery drops below 10%, or it will only charge up to that amount?

I don't want to unnecessarily charge from the grid of ill get some solar later.
calum

There's two min SoC settings, one is "On grid" which is how low the battery can go while you are connected to the grid. There is also an "off grid" setting for use where you have the inverter set up where there's no mains connection, or if it's been configured to work in EPS mode.

If you want to limit the amount the battery will charge from the grid because you want to "leave room" to store PV energy later, you want to use the MaxSOC setting (which only applies when charging from the grid - the system will always charge the battery to full from the panels if it can).
Contact Fox here
CliveRichardson

If you want to limit the amount the battery will charge from the grid because you want to "leave room" to store PV energy later, you want to use the MaxSOC setting (which only applies when charging from the grid - the system will always charge the battery to full from the panels if it can).

Where do you find this setting? I think it used to be with the battery SOC setting in the app but now it does not show, either in the app or on the web page in the battery settings. Is it hidden somewhere else?
calum

I've always had to change it from the front panel of the Inverter itself (at least until I got it connected via the RS485 serial port to my Home Assistant, but that's a whole other discussion!)

You can see where it is in the front panel menu in section 8.2 of the user manual (PDF link).
Contact Fox here