App showing system off line

Steve71uk

Hi, anyone got an issue with the phone app showing the system off line, but the inverter panel showing good wattage? the app also shows total yield for the day but no real time data?
reef

Yes, I am seeing the same thing. It appears to be due to the maintenance. Fox were saying Sat/Sun, but it appears its actually Sun/Mon as it was working all day Saturday.
Steve71uk

ok great at least it's not just me then :)
cjseppala

No Real-time Data nor Battery data either.
tommyhechtel

Same here.
Tommy

Fox ESS H3 10.0-E Hybrid inverter
Fox ESS ECS 2900 4 x 2.88 kWh
28x TrinaSolar TSM-425NEG9R.28
Dave Foster

It has been restored but there are still a few problems, hopefully not long.
Attachments
111.jpg
didow123

I am still having problems with getting the app to connect. When it does it shows my battery discharging to the grid even though the battery isn't full. When will all the bugs be sorted?
Bridgemang

I'm still having these problems after the maintenance at the weekend.

The foxess wifi dongle is flashing red very rapidly, so after searching here I've tried to shut and reboot the inverter - hoping to reset the dongle. But its not worked. I've tried twice now.

I can just about log into the wifi dongle, but I can't save a password - it keeps coming back blank so I'm not sure if its storing it or just hidden?

The IP and Mac address's in the manual are very different to those show in the set up manuals - and I can't see it connected to the home wifi.

Any help much appreciated.

G
G4RNI

Just last week I wast telling my "Growatt" mate (he's determined to get a Growatt system) how the Fox system was now excellent after almost 2 years of mediocre behaviour. I could now set charge/discharge times and rates etc.

That was until last weekend's site update. Now the mobile app is broken. It takes me numerous attempts to log in and when I do eventually manage I can't see data, flows etc.

Well done, Fox IT people. You finally had a great system but it's now broken.

I suppose it'll be offline again for another 3 weeks (remember the huge site update a year ago when nothing could be accessed) to put right what wasn't wrong.
alexruns

is the mobile App still down everywhere?
Will it work, if I pull off and on the Dongle or re-install the app.
Or is the maintenance still ongoing?
Does anyone get a source of information about progress of maintenance???
Dave Foster

alexruns wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:32 pm is the mobile App still down everywhere?
The servers are back up again and have been for most of the week, you should be working ok - if your dongle has disconnected, try removing it (unscrew and pull down), wait 5 seconds and then plug in again - or alternatively do a full shutdown of your inverter & batteries( PV isolated, AC isolated, Battery off), wait 10 seconds and restart (battery on, AC on, PV on)
Solar_19

I am having the same problem as so many other people. The system is healthy with the Green Light and Blue WiFi indication on the inverter on steady.
FoxESS Cloud App and mobile phone App both showing Offline. Error code 41935 The Device cannot be operated offline.
Smart WiFi Dongle flashing Red. Fast. WiFi signal strength at the inverter is 3 bars.
Tried unplugging dongle, wait 10 secs, plug back in. No change.
Tried a complete shutdown, dc/ac/batteries wait 2 mins. Re-start in reverse order. No change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave Foster

Solar_19 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:17 pm I am having the same problem as so many other people. The system is healthy with the Green Light and Blue WiFi indication on the inverter on steady.
FoxESS Cloud App and mobile phone App both showing Offline. Error code 41935 The Device cannot be operated offline.
Smart WiFi Dongle flashing Red. Fast. WiFi signal strength at the inverter is 3 bars.
Tried a complete shutdown, dc/ac/batteries wait 2 mins. Re-start in reverse order. No change.

The blue light on the inverter is actually there to say the inverter is connected to it's battery (I know it's a terrible icon and doesn't make sense but that's what it is).

If the red light on the dongle is flashing fast red (no green pulse every 10 seconds or so) then it does not have a connection through your wifi router to the Fox cloud - it normally indicates that it has lost the wifi connection (or your router is blocking it's external connection)

The wifi dongle only uses the 2.4ghz band (your phone / tablet will use 2.4 & 5ghz so the signal strength will be different) - you will need to connect your phone/tablet to the dongle's internal wifi and see if it can find your routers ssid being broadcast.

Your dongles ssid will be named something like W-xxxxxxxx - follow the instructions in this guide at setp 3 to connect it to your router, once connected it should settle down to a slow red flash with occasional green pulse.
test1.jpg
Solar_19

Hi, thanks for your response.
I had previously accessed the dongle and confirmed that it was connected to my router. But the dongle is still flashing fast red with only an occasional Green pulse.
Attachments
IMG_5248.jpg
Solar_19

Just tried it again and everything is back to normal :-}

Thanks for your assistance.
alexruns

Thank you for your help, @Dave !
Indeed I have not been noticed that the app is working properly again and that rebooting is needed.
Dave Foster wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:28 am
alexruns wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:32 pm is the mobile App still down everywhere?
The servers are back up again and have been for most of the week, you should be working ok - if your dongle has disconnected, try removing it (unscrew and pull down), wait 5 seconds and then plug in again - or alternatively do a full shutdown of your inverter & batteries( PV isolated, AC isolated, Battery off), wait 10 seconds and restart (battery on, AC on, PV on)
Bridgemang

Dave Foster wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:01 pm
Solar_19 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:17 pm I am having the same problem as so many other people. The system is healthy with the Green Light and Blue WiFi indication on the inverter on steady.

The blue light on the inverter is actually there to say the inverter is connected to it's battery (I know it's a terrible icon and doesn't make sense but that's what it is).

If the red light on the dongle is flashing fast red (no green pulse every 10 seconds or so) then it does not have a connection through your wifi router to the Fox cloud - it normally indicates that it has lost the wifi connection (or your router is blocking it's external connection)

The wifi dongle only uses the 2.4ghz band (your phone / tablet will use 2.4 & 5ghz so the signal strength will be different) - you will need to connect your phone/tablet to the dongle's internal wifi and see if it can find your routers ssid being broadcast.

Your dongles ssid will be named something like W-xxxxxxxx - follow the instructions in this guide at setp 3 to connect it to your router, once connected it should settle down to a slow red flash with occasional green pulse.

test1.jpg

But my system won’t let me save the house wifi password. It just times out, every time. Tried two full system resets.
Dave Foster

Bridgemang wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:50 pm But my system won’t let me save the house wifi password. It just times out, every time. Tried two full system resets.
Have you tried using a different device to set it, when I use my mobile it alaways disconnects from the dongle and re-connects to the normal house wifi because it knows it has an internet connection, I never have understood why - but using my tablet it seems to stay connected and allows it to save the password.
Bridgemang

Dave Foster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:18 pm
Bridgemang wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:50 pm But my system won’t let me save the house wifi password. It just times out, every time. Tried two full system resets.
Have you tried using a different device to set it, when I use my mobile it alaways disconnects from the dongle and re-connects to the normal house wifi because it knows it has an internet connection, I never have understood why - but using my tablet it seems to stay connected and allows it to save the password.
Thanks.

But it seems to make no difference. iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Mac book, Lenovo laptop. I’m trying all different browsers too.

After resetting the dongle (unplug), I can get to 192.168.1.1, but as soon as I try and save the password it completely freezes up. Either replying with Failed, or connecting, but then after that I can’t connect to the dongles http page.

Do the IP and MAC addresses matter?

Huge thanks for replying, I’m getting no support from my installer.

G
Dave Foster

Bridgemang wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:59 am Thanks.

But it seems to make no difference. iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Mac book, Lenovo laptop. I’m trying all different browsers too.

After resetting the dongle (unplug), I can get to 192.168.1.1, but as soon as I try and save the password it completely freezes up. Either replying with Failed, or connecting, but then after that I can’t connect to the dongles http page.

G
The IP / MAC addresses shouldn’t matter at all, the only thing i’ve heard is that it has trouble connecting to some routers that have twin bands 2.4ghz & 5ghz that share the same SSID name. I’ve never seen that myself but turning off the 5ghz band and allowing the dongle connect only to the 2.4ghz band has apparently worked.

I’ve kept mine simple by installing a wireless extender in the garage with a different ssid and only the 2.4ghz band enabled that way it never gets confused.

It could still be a faulty dongle i’ve only heard of one going faulty before and that one was repeatedly disconnecting/reconnecting from the wifi which ‘could’ be what is happening here if you aren’t able to get get it’s own web page up afterwards.

Have a try with just 2.4ghz band enabled, failing that you really could do with another dongle to prove the connection is ok.
It’s a pain if your installer isn’t responding, they should do this for you - Foxess will likely say it’s for your installer to fix this under warranty.

Depending on how you feel the dongle is around £30 to purchase so if you continue to get no joy with your installer you could either contact Foxess service for their advice, or buy another dongle and take it up with them afterwards.
Bridgemang

Dave Foster wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:51 pm
Bridgemang wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:59 am Thanks.

G
The IP / MAC addresses shouldn’t matter at all, the only thing i’ve heard is that it has trouble connecting to some routers that have twin bands 2.4ghz & 5ghz that share the same SSID name. I’ve never seen that myself but turning off the 5ghz band and allowing the dongle connect only to the 2.4ghz band has apparently worked.

I’ve kept mine simple by installing a wireless extender in the garage with a different ssid and only the 2.4ghz band enabled that way it never gets confused.

It could still be a faulty dongle i’ve only heard of one going faulty before and that one was repeatedly disconnecting/reconnecting from the wifi which ‘could’ be what is happening here if you aren’t able to get get it’s own web page up afterwards.

Have a try with just 2.4ghz band enabled, failing that you really could do with another dongle to prove the connection is ok.
It’s a pain if your installer isn’t responding, they should do this for you - Foxess will likely say it’s for your installer to fix this under warranty.

Depending on how you feel the dongle is around £30 to purchase so if you continue to get no joy with your installer you could either contact Foxess service for their advice, or buy another dongle and take it up with them afterwards.

Ah Dave. This is brilliant. Nearly solved it.

So yes, both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi have the same name. If I turn off the 5GHz WiFi, then the foxess dongle works fine. Password updated, and the app goes back on line.

But as soon as I turn on the 5GHz WiFi, it stops working again and the red light goes to flashing quickly again. The system has been installed for 18 months and we’ve not had this problem before.

So I could rename the two WiFi frequencies - that’s tomorrow’s job. But it looks like the dongle has gone faulty as you say.

Huge thanks

Grant
Dave Foster

Bridgemang wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:29 pm Ah Dave. This is brilliant. Nearly solved it.

So yes, both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi have the same name. If I turn off the 5GHz WiFi, then the foxess dongle works fine. Password updated, and the app goes back on line.

But as soon as I turn on the 5GHz WiFi, it stops working again and the red light goes to flashing quickly again. The system has been installed for 18 months and we’ve not had this problem before.

So I could rename the two WiFi frequencies - that’s tomorrow’s job. But it looks like the dongle has gone faulty as you say.

Huge thanks

Grant
Great, your getting there 👍

I was told if they have seperate ssid’s like ‘myssid_24g’ and ‘myssid_50g’ and you connect the dongle to the 24g network it should settle down and work fine, good luck 😊