Firmware Concerns on new system

shmonkey

Hi,

I've just had a new system installed, Inverter Model : AC1-3.7-E, running firmware Master : 1.13 Slave : 1.02 Manager : 1.17

My question relates to the firmware, which from the scant information I've been able to glean from the internet, seems very out of date.

Naturally like any new user i've been doing research, in particular how best to manage the battery in accordance with my energy suppliers smart tariff, alongside my EV charging. The videos on youtube show two options within the battery status areas of the app and website. These options are Enable Charge from Grid, and Enable Force Charge.

However, in my system I only have one option, being Enable Charge From Grid.

What I'm trying to achieve: Essentially I don't want my car charging from the battery for very obvious reasons, a 75kwh+ Tesla will rip through my tiny 5kwh battery. I want to stop discharge during the cheap hour period, and ensure my battery charges during those hours as well.

I'm adding two and two together and assuming I don't see the second option because my firmware's out of date, and I'm worried this lack of control will cause issues with what I'm trying to achieve re EV and Battery management.

1. Does my single option cause a problem with what I'm trying to achieve?
2. Can I update the firmware myself, I have the manual and a decent knowledge of IT in general. But i'd be uncomfortable updating firmware if it forced any reconfiguration of the system. My installers may not be happy either.
3. Should I be asking my installers to update it? I'm new to the world of solar but not tech, so I get the general principles of firmware, and the dangers of running something out of date.

All and any advice and guidance welcome.
calum

Hi there

You definitely want to get your firmware updated to the latest versions, your installer should be able to arrange this, failing that you can ask Fox UK to do it remotely.

Separately however, the video is now unfortunately slightly out of date as Fox have changed the way you set those options. You can still do as you want to ie prevent your house battery from emptying itself into your car, but the UI has changed.

This topic on the forum explains the change well.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
shmonkey

Thanks Calum!

I'll ask my installer but I'm not confident it'll get done quickly or properly.

Is this something Fox UK would willingly help a member of Joe public with and if so, what's generally the best way to approach them, phone or email?

I'd be happy to do it myself if there's no reconfiguration required but mindful of causing any issues that might impact my warranty or installer guarantees.
asyrop

I needed help twice back in December after an installation in Nov by an installer who couln't answer any of my queries (mostly caused by low temperatures whose effects my installer didn't understand).
Each time I phoned the main FoxESS no. and was advised I'd get a call back from a technician, which came within an hour or so.
The second time, the technician checked all my firmware versions remotely and then upgraded those that needed it.
I'll certainly call them directly again if I recognise an unexpected problem which the installer can't fix. Some installers appear to know little of the firmware and any software fixes being implemented.
I hope this may help
Asyrop:
14 poorly angled 415W panels
5kW H1 inverter
3 x MIRA 25 batteries

Cambridgeshire - installed Nov 22
calum

Yep, Fox have helped a number of people on here to get their firmware updated. I think they understand that whilst in theory the installer should be handling it, in practice most installers are not set up to manage this well (and to be fair, the Fox tooling for this is....not great). You can contact them here https://www.fox-ess.com/get-in-touch/

All that said - the downlevel firmware on your unit and the lack of the second "tickbox" on your app or website are not related. If you have a read of the thread I linked in my earlier post, you'll see how to set a "no discharge" window (previously called "Force charge") so as to achieve your main goal ie charging your car without emptying the house battery.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here