Error - server with the specified hostname could not be found

NDFox99

Hi,

We have been using the Fox ESS inverter and PV system for about 2 months and it has generally worked fine on the mobile app (apart from an outage around the end of April).

There was an update last week and since then the app one of our mobile phone started reporting "Error - server with the specified hostname could not be found". This means we cannot log in on that phone. We have tried uninstalling the app and re-installing but the same error. I've searched around and this seems to be a generic error rather than one specific to Fox.

On another phone it has continued to work fine throughout. We need to be able to use both phones to monitor the system so has anyone seen this issue? Both are the same make of phone, same OS and same update level.

Thanks
Panels_____9.6 kWp array 24 panels Sharp 410W each, 12 East roof, 12 West roof, roof pitch 30 deg, estimated 5611 kWh per year - DC coupled
Inverter____6 kW Fox ESS hybrid (H1-6.0-E)
Batteries___7.5 kWh 3 x Fox ESS HV2600 2.56 kWh - DC coupled
Batt Rack__19" cabinet with space for 1 BMS and up to 4 batteries
Charger____7 kW Zappi v2
Hot water__3 kW Eddi v2.1
Myenergi Hub and Harvi / EPS full changeover switch (complete house on EPS) / installer UPS Solar
calum

Sounds like DNS has got messed up on that phone. Does it work properly for everything else?
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
NDFox99

It works in terms of all the other phone operations. I’ll look into anything DNS related that could have caused it. Thanks
Panels_____9.6 kWp array 24 panels Sharp 410W each, 12 East roof, 12 West roof, roof pitch 30 deg, estimated 5611 kWh per year - DC coupled
Inverter____6 kW Fox ESS hybrid (H1-6.0-E)
Batteries___7.5 kWh 3 x Fox ESS HV2600 2.56 kWh - DC coupled
Batt Rack__19" cabinet with space for 1 BMS and up to 4 batteries
Charger____7 kW Zappi v2
Hot water__3 kW Eddi v2.1
Myenergi Hub and Harvi / EPS full changeover switch (complete house on EPS) / installer UPS Solar
mossdale

Are you running a VPN? I have to turn my AVG Secure VPN off to get any access. With the VPN forced to stop the app works fine.
Judy01

Hi
I am getting a similar or the same error message ' unable to resolve host 'www.foxesscloud.com' no address associated with hostname.
I have turned off my mobile VPN but still unable to connect using my android phone. Would appreciate some help, thanks in advance.

PV 2Kw
Fox Grid inverter S Series 1500
Phone Android v10 - One UI version 2.0
calum

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/fox ... http&www=1

You can check here but the site itself is working, this looks to be an issue with your DNS resolver. Can you get to http://8.209.116.72 in your mobile browser?
Contact Fox here
Judy01

Thanks for your response, no I have not been able to access the url you provided - please see attachment.
VPN is off..
Attachments
fox_query1.JPG
Judy01

Found a very old phone Android version 8 on which the Foxess cloud app actually worked!
Appears the issue is not with my phone, the cloud app is not developed to work with anything above Android version 8 it appears.
If otherwise, please explain
calum

The app and website work fine on my phone which is Android 13, so that's not the issue. I'm pretty sure the issue is that the DNS on the phone you have the problem with has got messed up somehow.

Weirdly the site doesn't like being visited via the IP which suggests some sort of shared hosting situation. Be that as it may, the site is currently up and working, so the problem is either your phone or your internet connection. As you have another device that does work, it very much suggests the problem is with your phone.

Have you changed settings on your phone eg set a custom DNS or whatever? Does it have any anti-malware apps that might be triggering a false positive block?
Contact Fox here
Judy01

Thanks for your reply. No there are no odd setting configurations on my phone, just a robust virus guard and VPN and once these are switched off there is no reason why the app should not work.. Never mind. the installer explained the App would not work on 5Ghz wifi, so naturally I assumed functionality would be affected or limited on a variety of platforms.

Thanks again for your response.
calum

the installer explained the App would not work on 5Ghz wifi
This is errant nonsense, I'm afraid. If you're still getting the error message from the thread title, but only on one device, it means that device has a problem with DNS ie how a web address like www.google.com is converted to an IP address.

It may or may not be something you did, or remember doing, but that's the cause of it. Not the frequency of the WiFi, not the version of Android. I'd double check your DNS settings on your phone, plenty of apps fiddle with these in the name of security or whatever.
Contact Fox here