Thinking of going to Octopus Flux

Daviessteve

How do I force my system to export to the grid between the peak export hours 16:00 to 19:00

Cheers

Steve
Fox H1 5.0
4 Mira 2k5 batteries
4k4 of Sharp Panels
calum

You can do it manually, by setting the work mode via the front panel, but that's going to get old fast.

To automate it, you could have a look at this:

https://github.com/nathanmarlor/foxess_ ... utomations

(It does require you to have a Home Assistant setup that's talking to the inverter via the RS485 connection).
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
Daviessteve

Thanks Calum

Is there a generic password for changing the work mode?

Steve
Fox H1 5.0
4 Mira 2k5 batteries
4k4 of Sharp Panels
calum

On my H1 the only code it's ever asked me for is 0000...your installer might have set something else, though.

Come to think of it, the work mode might be changeable via the Fox website...
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
Daviessteve

It is

When u tap on the inverter icon you get the options to change the work mode

It asks for a password. That is the one I am trying to get

I assume I would change it to Feedin for the peak period to force energy to the grad and get paid for that

Steve
Fox H1 5.0
4 Mira 2k5 batteries
4k4 of Sharp Panels
Daviessteve

The password to use on the Fox app is the original login given by installer to login to the app
Fox H1 5.0
4 Mira 2k5 batteries
4k4 of Sharp Panels
asyrop

Hi All,

Unless I have it wrong, there are 2 aspects to this question. Currently, I can stop the solar PV being used to charge the battery during peak Flux hours in the afternoon by selecting the "Feedin" option on the website control, and indeed it uses the same password as for the website (and app) as set by my installer. So all is as described in this post.

However, this only stops excess solar from charging the battery is does not force the battery to discharge during this period. I believe the work mode listed to achieve forced discharge is/wiil be "Power Station". Everytime I have tried to select this mode, the response is one of invalid parameter, which I take to mean that Fox have yet to enable this feature.

You may be aware from the published datasheets and manuals that Fox specifically report that their system does not allow a battery to discharge to the grid, but only to support the "house" demand when needed (work mode "Self use). Clearly, to make good use of the Octopus Flux tariff, Fox need to change this aspect the firmware which I am hopeful about with the appearance of a "Power Station" option even if it is yet to work.

There are parameters that an RS485 connection, via the dedicated serial port, and suitable external control can do that Fox currently do not provide control of via website or app.

Does anyone know when they might update this side of their controls ? or have I missed something ?

Alan
Asyrop:
14 poorly angled 415W panels
5kW H1 inverter
3 x MIRA 25 batteries

Cambridgeshire - installed Nov 22
Ched

We have been on Flux for just over a month now and it's working very well for us. We put the washing machine and dishwasher on between 2am and 5am and fully charge the battery at the same time. Then we have a force charge set between 14:30 and 15:59 so the battery is full before the 'expensive' import period. This means that any excess solar is exported and not used to charge the battery during the peak export rate.
After the first month our average cost for import is 21.06p per kwh and for export it's 25.47p per kwh. We are exporting approximately twice as much as we are importing. So last month our export paid for all out import, the standing charge plus our gas usage and the gas standing charge and a little credit into our account.

We have 2 x Mira HV25 batteries and 4.9Kw solar split 4 panels South ish 8 panels Westish and a 3.6kw H1 inverter. We find that if we use the oven to cook a meal then we do run out of battery around midnight. Looking at the calcs I don't think having more batteries would actually save us very much money and payback would be in excess of the 10 year warranty.

So far we are pleased with our system and Flux is working well for us.
Daviessteve

Thank you all for the useful information

I will post an update when I have Flux up and running

Steve
Fox H1 5.0
4 Mira 2k5 batteries
4k4 of Sharp Panels
aardnebby

I'm on flux as well. Got 2x 2.6kWh Fox batteries and 4kW of south facing panels. I force charge once between 2:10am and 4:50am, I also aim to run my dishwasher and washing machine during that time, but then have the inverter set to self use mode. This does mean if I use a lot of power before there is sufficient sun to cover it that will charge the batteries back again before the 4pm expensive electricity. I started this mid April, so it seems to be working great for the partial bill I have so far, looking forward to my first full month on this setup in a few days time.

Based on my daily usage I suspect in Winter I will need to do a force charge in the afternoon on some days but not others depending on a combination of weather and usage. As others have mentioned, doing a full roast in the oven will take a big chunk out of my 5.2kWh battery, and remember with the charge floor of 10-20% you only really have about 4kWh usable depending on settings and efficiency.
asyrop

Just to add my thoughts on Octopus Flux having been on it since mid March - I have a similar system to aardnebby but a bit bigger:
a) there are clearly more choices to make on a daily basis, esp if the time of day of our consumption varies, and in the summer it will be very different from wintertime. I have asked Octopus, who tell me that as of now, I can switch tarrifs as and when I choose and could go back to a Flexible tarrif in winter and return to Flux in the summer - yet another decision for the user ! Flux definitely makes decisions more complex and is most unlikely to be a "fit and forget" option.

b) I have had one full month's bills around the equinox, but there was a rate change across Flux midway. In that month, my overall import unit charge was 25p and the my export payment/unit was similar (a tiny bit higher) from the extra contribution when able to export during 4-7pm. I think this is good and means that during the summer I am confident of selling units for more than I pay. Compared with other 5p/unit SEGs, this seems v good, is 10p/unit better than Octopus' own SEG and to be able to buy in future at around 10p/unit lower than any standard tarrif is also positive.

c) I'll have my next monthly bill in about 10 days and can give the average import and export rates if anyone is interested.

d) As soon as Fox enable us to sell energy to the grid from the battery on demand - what I assume their "Power Station" work mode to be, (but is still not yet functioning), then I will consider making more money by buying at night and selling at peak times. It will exercise my batteries and shorten their life but definitely improve payback on the initial cost.

e) Personally, I see Octopus as being very innovative just now with this tarrif and so will be:
  • setting the rates to attract enough interest to see how well it may work on a wider basis,
  • ready to evolve the details in the light of how successful (or costly to them), it turns out to be and
  • definitely adjusting the rates as market conditions change - hence with the 20% lower price cap from next month, I expect the same drop across the Flux rates, import & export and hence the differentials during the day may reduce similarly- I'll be delighted if the absolute differentials remain as good as they are when the main rates drop. Lets see.
Asyrop:
14 poorly angled 415W panels
5kW H1 inverter
3 x MIRA 25 batteries

Cambridgeshire - installed Nov 22