Setting Max SOC

phoenix66

Hi all,

I've recently had a KH10.5 and Cube battery installed and am having issues with the Max SOC. I am trying to set it to 90%, so that there is some room left for solar production on sunny days.
I have navigated to the correct setting on the inverter front panel, set the Max SOC to 90%, pressed Confirm, then backed all the way out. If I go back into the setting, the change is still there.
However, I am still getting 100% charging overnight from the grid.
Have I missed something?
Thanks!
phoenix66

Update:
The sun started shining and the solar panels charged the battery to 90%, but then started exporting.

Something weird is going on.
Dave Foster

Yes I would agree that’s not right, setting MaxSoc should stop the inverter charging from grid any higher than that, but should allow solar to charge all the way to 100%.

What work mode are you operating in ?, are you using the Foxess app to set period 1 to charge the battery?.
I’m not sure whether the KH has the update for strategies yet, but the force charge there seems to obey different rules to the normal charge periods.
phoenix66

It's set to self-use model and charge period was set via the cloud web UI.

What's the easiest way to check the firmware version number? I'll see if maybe that needs updating...
Dave Foster

phoenix66 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:53 am It's set to self-use model and charge period was set via the cloud web UI.

What's the easiest way to check the firmware version number? I'll see if maybe that needs updating...
Ok, that all sounds fine.

If you have easy access to the inverter front panel, you can click About, Inv Ver and it will list the versions, it's also available in the app - if you go to the device, real time data screen and click Version it will list the Master, Slave & Manager there.
phoenix66

Found the versions:

Master: 1.15
Slave: 1.01
Manager: 1.11

I can't find a firmware downloads section on the Fox website, so any comment on the above would be appreciated.
Dave Foster

phoenix66 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:02 am Found the versions:

Master: 1.15
Manager: 1.11

I can't find a firmware downloads section on the Fox website, so any comment on the above would be appreciated.
I've just checked on the foxcloud and the latest versions for the KH are -

Master: 1.22
Manager: 1.16

You are quite a few behind, sadly Foxess don't provide release notes but with that big a version difference I think it would be well worth you getting an upgrade done.

On top of that you will have battery firmware versions as well which may be older, so I would recommend you contact your installer or email you local foxess support with your inverter serial number and ask them to upgrade your inverter and batteries to the latest version.
phoenix66

Thanks Dave, I have opened a ticket with Fox.
phoenix66

So, I opened a ticket with Fox and after a few confusing emails, got a call from John (which is greatly appreciated! Far too many support teams hide behind emails).

Anyway, he told me that my interpretation of the MaxSOC setting was incorrect, that it applies to both grid and solar charging with the purpose of preserving the lifespan of the battery.

I explained the use case of partially charging from grid to a fixed (but manageable) SOC with a view to leaving overhead for solar charging when the weather allows, and he said he thought is was a good idea and would pass it on as a suggestion to head office...

This goes against numerous threads that I have read on this community, so I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks as always.
calum

Admittedly I have an H1 not a KH1, but on mine, the MaxSOC parameter does not behave that way for my system. No matter what I set it to, if there is solar power available to do so, the batteries will charge up past it, to 100% if sufficient spare power.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here