MeterRS485 Comms Ports...

rashdown_online

Hi.

Can I ask those who have an H1 (of Fox more widely) a few questions regarding the the MeterRS485 lugs
  • Is there a noticeable benefit in using these lugs over a CT clamp?
  • Have you tried daisy-chaining these lugs to a converter (USB/USR-W610) so you can continue to monitor the "Meter" with emonCMS/HA/etc. whilst also having the Fox benefit from a hard-wired connection to a main meter?
I ask as I have an Eastron SDM230 as my main meter for local monitoring. I'm currently hooked up to that with emonCMS via a USB->RS485 dongle.

I'd very much like to keep a hard-wired local monitor to that meter. But if it's preferable to hardwire the Fox to the meter, then I need to determine if I can still have the meter in the mix (daisy-chain) or it has to be stand-alone and only connected to the Fox. In which case it's using CT-clamps for the Fox or buy a 2nd main meter!!!

Thanks in advance.

Roland.
Can

Can't comment on RS485, but on CT vs Modbus meter the CT wins. Reaction to changes in phase conditions is much faster from what I can tell as the sampling rate is higher. Normally I would prefer to use an Eastron (I have on in circuit) over CT but having switched to the FoxESS platform my mind has changed.
rashdown_online

Can wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:30 pm Can't comment on RS485, but on CT vs Modbus meter the CT wins. Reaction to changes in phase conditions is much faster from what I can tell as the sampling rate is higher. Normally I would prefer to use an Eastron (I have on in circuit) over CT but having switched to the FoxESS platform my mind has changed.
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. That's really quite interesting to hear that.

I'll go down the CT route, then. Makes life easier for me TBH, as I can now daisy-chain all my Eastrons for a decent full picture across lots of main circuits.

Thanks again.