Non Standard Use of KH-10

dragonfly

We have a Park Home, with a 16a Power Feed, and we are increasingly finding that 16a, simply isn't enough peak load. So I'm planning on fitting some battery storage with a view to adding solar panels later. However I'd like to check if the functionality I'd like to see will be available with the KH10.

Firstly I'd like to "slow" charge the battery storage from the grid supply at a predefined rate well below our 16a limit.

Then I would like the inverter to step in when the load exceeds 16a, and provide the excess power from the battery.

Does that sound like something the KH10 could do?
Dave Foster

The first part you can achieve by either setting the maximum dc charge current for the battery or by setting a grid charge limit - both will allow you to restrict by how much the inverter will charge by.

The second part isn't so easy - what you are describing is available on the H3 (3 phase) inverters called Peak Shaving - this is used in Europe to do exactly what you describe to 'fill in' for the grid when the power exceeds a set limit (and at certain times). But currently this is not available on single phase systems, i'm not sure whether Fox plan to release this but i'm sure the KH would be the candidate if they were - might be worth pinging an email to their customer service to see if it is in the development plan.

The only other alternative is to allow the batteries to meet the demand but reduce the amount of power they can provide by setting the maximum DC discharge current - using that you could allow the batteries to only provide (say) a maximum of 2kW and the grid would then fill in the rest - it's not quite what you were looking for but available now out of the box.
Sparky72

You might like to look up the power assist feature of Victron Multiplus - it sounds exactly like what you are asking for.
Magnum MSH is an alternative (American)