Settings / Control of parallel inverters

Declan90

Looking to gain some insight please ahead of my installation being commissioned next week (to make sure I can ask the right questions!) - install is two H1-3.7-E-G2 inverters (in parallel mode) each paired to two EP5 batteries (4 in total).

I've had a read of the manual a few times, which didn't really answer my question. I couldn't find much useful documentation on the various control apps. Was hoping someone could either advise or point me to a resource that explains; which settings or controls are needed on the Slave? i.e. what isn't just set on the Master and left for the two parallel inverters to negotiate?

I'm pretty sure I saw mention on the Nathan Marlor Foxess Modbus integration that the likes of force charge / discharge periods had to be configured inverter by inverter (not sure if this is simply a limitation of the integration or would also apply to Fox Cloud V2 or Energy Stats also face this issue)? (will be having the cables installed for this but unlikely to jump straight on Home Assistant, baby steps first)

Main day 1 concern is DNO have advised 3.68 kW export limit; given shared CT clamp my understanding would be that both would be set at 3.68kW export limit and would control to this? rather than one on 3.68 and the other on 0 (as in this scenario the second there is any export the second inverter will throttle back)?

Given above limit I'm likely to want to play with the various work modes - if the master is changed does this automatically cascade to the slave?

Many Thanks in Advance!!
Will
Site Admin

Hey,

I made this video for the K series but it’s the same I believe for all fox inverters.

If this video doesn’t answer your question let me know and I can explain in more detail.

Community Admin / FoxESS Professional

Buy me a coffee or Book a zoom meeting for remote consultancy

FoxESS Tri Inverter Installation
2 x KH Series Inverters
24 x HV2600 (62.4kWh)
32 x 490w across 4 arrays
Dual Tesla Household
Heatpump & Low Carbon Housebuild
Declan90

Thanks Will. A great overview!

On your video you mention that the batteries will fill stack by stack / inverter by inverter. Was that primarily (in the example) where the PV was all on the master? I.e. when excess detected by the CT clamp going to grid then the (other) inverters start filling their batteries?
(In my situation, PV spread across both inverters, I don't imagine it makes sense to intentionally put out AC to prioritise charge on a different inverter. So imagine that, ignoring string by string performance, my batteries would fill at a similar rate across the two inverters)

You mention future firmware update to allow cascading settings (e.g. charge windows) - has a timeframe been indicated for this? (Assume it's still not yet, a bit like a shame to hear I'm a few months two early for local mode on the dongles...)

You made it pretty clear cut that the settings all need to be mirrored (if you want everything acting the same), which answers 90% of it.

Regarding export power limitations do the inverters see this as an overall value or does it become additive? (E.g. if I set 3.6 on each do that see as 3.6 overall, from single CT, or would they see as 3.6 each i.e. 7.4 overall?) I can see logic in either answer
ESESSsolutions

Hello Will, is this video valid for H3 series inverters? Thank you for your reply.
Dave Foster

ESESSsolutions wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:40 pm Hello Will, is this video valid for H3 series inverters? Thank you for your reply.
Yes the H3 works just as the KH - the H3 had parallel capabilities out of the box, it uses a single meter on the master and it shares information via the parallel canbus with up to 9 slaves (the KH which allows up to 2 slaves), the H1 (Gen 2) also supports parallel operation.