FoxESS cloud status Energy Stats, Home Assistant Cloud

Dave Foster

The FoxESS cloud access for the Energy Stats app and Home Assistant Cloud version is currently off-line due to a change in the FoxESS server overnight.

The background to this is that the old FoxESS cloud access is to be made private, they have however written an OpenAPI the developers of 3rd party apps can use to access your data.

The developers are working to transfer the versions over to the OpenAPI version as I write - and FoxESS are working on the back office servers - hopefully service will be resumed one way or the other shortly.

I will update when I have more information, thanks
Dave Foster

The Energy Stats latest version is now available and works with FoxESS OpenAPI

The Home Assistant cloud integration is also now available on github https://github.com/macxq/foxess-ha
ivanhoew

hi dave , re the ES app , i just tried to get in with no success ,.

i have updated the app , and now have a page asking for the API , i click the link , and sign in , however , the display in a i phone se 2020 is showing a tiny strip of the api page ,so i cannot copy and paste it .

i then opened my fox ess portal on my laptop , generated an API on there , and copied it down bit by bit ,on the app on the phone , and it gave me an error message , and no luck .

regards
robert
Dave Foster

Hi Robert,

It is best to do it on a big screen, not your phone - it's quite difficult to read even then.

There is a security feature that means once you generate an api_key it only displays it in it's entirety on the screen at that point - thereafter when you go back to that screen it will show you the start and end but with a lot of asterisks obscuring it.

Log back into the website, go to your user profile and the API Management link, then 'Generate API Key' - it will warn you that you already have one, but select yes anyway - at this point you will see your full api_key on screen - it is usually 36 characters long and looks something like '02f4a803-76f7-44a7-a03a-29c3826eae2b'

Copy that text and store it in a note or a text file (in case you lose it later), then paste it into the API Key of the ES app and that should be that
ivanhoew

hi dave ,

thank you for the quick reply , i did exactly that lol , with no luck just an error message , i did just now work out how to get my phone to show the whole api page , and that was to turn it on its side... doh !

but now on my phone i click generate api , it then warns me a new api with delete the old one and i click ok , and then nothing happens , no api .

i will try again with my laptop , is the app dowloadable to the laptop, or does it only work on my phone ?

regards
robert
ivanhoew

okey dokey !

managed to copy the number , paste it to an email , take a photo of it with the phone , then highlighted the number and copy and pasted it to the app , and got this

IMG_5171.PNG

i searched for code 41930 on the net, and it came up as "odd coloured socks on " so i checked but no they are both black .

regards
robert.
Dave Foster

ivanhoew wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:30 pm okey dokey !

managed to copy the number , paste it to an email , take a photo of it with the phone , then highlighted the number and copy and pasted it to the app , and got this

i searched for code 41930 on the net, and it came up as "odd coloured socks on " so i checked but no they are both black .
regards
robert.
Hmmm it sounds as if all that transferring of data may have induced a typo, or missed a character - the error 41930 occurs if the key is invalid, or re-used.

Some users have found they only way they could get this to work was by manually typing the long key by hand from the website straight into the app.

Can you re-generate the key on the webpage - and then type exactly what it gives you, including all of the '-' characters into the apps api_key, there should be 36 characters in total.
ivanhoew

Dave Foster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:44 pm
Hmmm it sounds as if all that transferring of data may have induced a typo, or missed a character - the error 41930 occurs if the key is invalid, or re-used.

Some users have found they only way they could get this to work was by manually typing the long key by hand from the website straight into the app.

Can you re-generate the key on the webpage - and then type exactly what it gives you, including all of the '-' characters into the apps api_key, there should be 36 characters in total.

ok did that ,got the same error message .
Dave Foster

If you click on the message box under my name on the right hand side of the posts, could you send me a private message with your api_key in it please - i'll take a look and see if I can anything wrong with it, and give it a try to see what it does.
ivanhoew

Dave Foster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:56 am If you click on the message box under my name on the right hand side of the posts, could you send me a private message with your api_key in it please - i'll take a look and see if I can anything wrong with it, and give it a try to see what it does.

i don't have a message box showing dave ?
Dave Foster

On the right under the name it should say Contact and with a 'quote' box - that should take you to message - if not, click on my name which takes you to the profile and you can send private message there.
ivanhoew

Dave Foster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:21 am On the right under the name it should say Contact and with a 'quote' box - that should take you to message - if not, click on my name which takes you to the profile and you can send private message there.

i researched ,and found this dave

"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature."

i'm not chatty enough !!! :cry:
Dave Foster

ivanhoew wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:26 am i researched ,and found this dave

"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature."

i'm not chatty enough !!! :cry:
ok, there is some small limit to stop people joining and spamming others - it's only modest 5 or 10, can you email it to me instead at b5djf@yahoo.com
Dave Foster

ok, i've got that thanks - I copy and pasted it straight into my app - and it worked, hopefully this look like your generation:
IMG_1546.PNG
So that is definitely a good api key (don't re-generate again)

Would you mind re-trying into your app, copy and paste it exactly from your email into the api_key box and see if that works.

If it doesn't I think you you may need to delete the app from your phone so it removes it's old data, and then re-download it and copy and paste that api_key from your email into your phone.

Can I ask where you are in the world, i'm intrigued by your site name - there's one of those not far from me (North West)
ivanhoew

yes thats me !!

excellent well done dave i'll have another go ill delete it and try a new download too .

Nope Sadly no luck dave , :(

interestingly , if i follow the link on the app to go to generate key , i can click on generate key , but no key will appear .

if i go into my laptop , and do the same i get a key , if i take a picture of that key with my phone i can highlight the number and copy it , and paste to the app , but the process can change symbols , so you have to check through to see if it has copied it faithfully .

i have also copied the key in digit by digit manually , and that didnt work either .

regards robert
Dave Foster

The key you sent me worked fine, so it must be some kind of copying problem - I think given what you have said manual entry is the only way to do it reliably if you cannot copy and paste it.

in which case apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs but -

the entry is always structured as x characters then - then next block of x characters

And it is always in blocks of 8-4-4-4-12

The numbers are hexadecimal so only numeric characters and a,b,c,d,e,f can be in the string with '-' in between

the hex letters are always lower case

so for example this an old one of mine, the format will be similar:

2c557f7f-1ae8-46af-bb78-a124adbbd22b

If you could double check all of that and failing that i'll message Al and see if he has any tricks up his sleeve.
ivanhoew

well !

third time of copying it in. one digit at a time. actually worked !

hurrah !!

thank you very much dave !

regards
robert
Dave Foster

Fantastic, glad you got it sorted 👍
ivanhoew

oh ! i spoke too soon , next day it reverted to wanting me to log in again .

new lesson , if i make a new number , on my pc , i can highlight it , then the log in window on my iphone , has a function where you can hold on it , and it will give you a photo box you can scan your number with on the pc , i had to correct a few digits , but its much faster than having to do it all by hand .

i wonder if ill get logged out again in a days time .
Dave Foster

ivanhoew wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:31 pm oh ! i spoke too soon , next day it reverted to wanting me to log in again .
Actually that one also happened to me, I entered it again and it's been fine since :)
ivanhoew

yup it's logging me back out every two days .

i think ill give up on it for a while ...maybe try gain in a week or so , so frustrating , it was such a good app .
Dave Foster

ivanhoew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:27 am yup it's logging me back out every two days .

i think ill give up on it for a while ...maybe try gain in a week or so , so frustrating , it was such a good app .
I asked Al about this and he says -
The app never logs you out automatically - Would be good to understand what the users sees when they think they're being logged out, e.g. is it the "IMPORTANT We've updated the login process" screen, or is it the login screen, or is an error message? I have seen some users complain about this though and I was able to reproduce the '41930' issue which was fixed in iOS 2.7 I think but requires the user to actively press logout to clear everything.

The best thing would be to delete the app and fresh install to get the very latest version
When you have the will to try it again, could you delete the app, get a fresh install of the latest and see what happens then.
ivanhoew

i get the log in screen again .
timsdrew

I've just had an H3 system installed. I've setup an integration into Home Assistant using the cloud integration and noticed that Battery SOC% is not pulling through.
The official 2.0 app shows the battery % on the home page but nothing when looking at the daily graph. Also tried the "Energy Stats" app and SOC% also 0 there, so clearly an issue with the API.
I have contacted foxess support but yet to hear back. Is this something effecting just me?
Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 14.48.08.jpeg
IMG_E477BC520DF0-1.jpeg
IMG_11B02921D306-1.jpeg
FoxEss Inverter H3 Pro 30.0
19.35kWh Battery (1 x FoxEss ECS2800 with 6 slaves)
14 x 550w panels Canadian Solar
Dave Foster

timsdrew wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:57 pm I've just had an H3 system installed. I've setup an integration into Home Assistant using the cloud integration and noticed that Battery SOC% is not pulling through.
The official 2.0 app shows the battery % on the home page but nothing when looking at the daily graph. Also tried the "Energy Stats" app and SOC% also 0 there, so clearly an issue with the API.
I have contacted foxess support but yet to hear back. Is this something effecting just me?
Mine is working, but I have heard a few people saying there were issues earlier and that again some maintenance was being done - interestingly the battery stats are stored separately from the main database and so i'd wait 24 hours and see if the problem persists.