Modbus questions

libby

Hi all.

I've recently set my dad up with Home Assistant on a RPi3, as he's been a bit unhappy with the ability to control his FoxESS system (H1-3.0-E) via the app. Unfortunately it seems that with cloud only access this doesn't do an awful lot. Thanks to this forum I've seen that you can achieve a bit more with ModBus access, but unfortunately as his system has been installed in the loft there aren't any options for powering anything nearby. I had a look at the inverter when I was visiting over Xmas and noticed that there is a USB port on the bottom of the inverter. Would it be possibly to supply power to a wireless ModBus from there? If not, does anyone have any other solutions that don't involve a nearby power socket? (I have a Sonnen system myself, and the installer added a second consumer unit and a plug socket right by the inverter for a powerline adaptor as part of my install, so haven't encountered these issues before.)

Dad is currently in touch with support to try to get his firmware updated too, so that he can benefit from exporting during Octopus' saving sessions.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Libby
calum

If you connect to the RS485 on the inverter with a grounded twisted pair cable, you can potentially run that cable for tens of meters to a USB or TCP interface. So if there's a way to run the cable to a place where the connections can work, that might be a way around it.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here