BMS Versions

Paulatthornwood5

I am currently looking to expand my system from 4x HV2600 v2.verD batteries to 6xHV2600 Batteries. Was lead to believe I could not mix versions of batteries. But looking at suppliers website I can get the exact same version but they are stating battery versions can be mixed v1 and v2 as long as I have BMS v2.

:-
Due to the global chip shortage all Fox HV2600 now use a new chip which require a new V2 BMS.
Original HV2600’s can be used with new HV2600’s but require a new V2 BMS
Fox will exchange the old BMS with a V2 BMS direct with the customer via RMA process

Question just out of interest how can I tell what version of my BMS as no indication on the unit itself?

Anyone had their unit upgrade by Fox?
Dave Foster

That's a really old message, Foxess stopped the warranty swap in Dec 2022

The V1 BMS is a half length unit (half the depth of a battery), the V2 BMS is a full length unit.

It is true that you can mix V1 & V2 batteries if you replace your V1 BMS for a V2 BMS (~£200), however the V1 firmware has to be upgraded to a special version that only works in a V2 pack and the cabling has to be modified to avoid battery alarms.

There are quite a few people that have the mixed packs, many wish they didn't as the mixed pack appears to suffer more from balancing and capacity issues, and that's before battery ageing effects start to take place.

I would strongly recommend staying with V1 batteries, they are much more consistent and easier to maintain, one firmware version etc..