HA PI4 and USB RS485 to H1 3.7 inverter

MadWayne

When connnecting this up to the pins for rs485 on the inverter.

HA seems to stop working , suggesting something wrong.

When I disconnect the rs485 inverter end the usb can be plugged in and has no ill affect on HA, inverter and fox app working normally throughout..

What pins should I be connecting to:-

1 and 2 are rs485 meter?
3 and 4 are rs485 coms and used these.
5 and 6 CT 2
7 and 8 CT 1 original connection

Added 5 and 6 so can monitor another fits solar system from one place.

Any ideas the USB adapter was the one recommended on the git hub for the project.

It’s been suggested not enough power for the usb adapter and it dragging down HA.

Are all H1 inverters the same for pins?

Any help would be appreciated.
Dave Foster

You should be using Pins 3 & 4 on the H1, Inverter Pin 3 (RS485B) should be connected to the USB B pin, Inverter Pin 4 (RS485A) should be connected to the USB A Pin.

What are you using on your Pi to connect to the modbus, was it the old StealhChesnut (using an include in your configuration file with modbus.yaml) or Nathan's newer integration (https://github.com/nathanmarlor/foxess_modbus)

I've never had a problem with one of those devices but on Home Assistant using the older modbus version without a valid connection would definitely block HA from starting or stopping if not configure correctly.

To start remove whichever modbus integration your are using and reboot HA, then connect the modbus adaptor with the cables connected and see if that starts up ok.

Assuming it starts ok, re-install using Nathan's integration linked above, it's much easier on resources.
MadWayne

Thanks, I will take another look at this this weekend when I have some time.

I was using StealthChesnut.

Okay so from scratch.

Connect usb to pins 3and4
Connect usb to pi
Power up

Load up Nathan’s integration
See how it goes.

Would prefer to get the older one working initially so May try looking at that first and then look at Nathans

I am sure with fresh eyes this weekend it will be come apparent what I did/didn’t do right.

Thanks for taking the time to reply it’s appreciated.
calum

I would honestly start off with Nathan's integration, it is just better in every way.

(No slight to StealthChesnut's work btw, but it's been essentially orphaned since early this year).
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
Dave Foster

Just to add to this, if you had the StealthChesnut integration working over ethernet, the registers it uses are different to the modbus over RS485 so it wouldn't work anyway.

I would recommend you delete the include file near the top of your configuration.yaml (it'll be include modbus.yaml or something similar).

Shutdown HA, plug in the USB RS485 adaptor

Restart HA and then add and configure Nathan's integration