Smart plug with temperature sensor or alternative?

Ched

I have a couple of situations where I would like to switch on a heater based on temp. I thought that a smart plug would be ideal but I can't seem to find one that has a temperature sensor in. Does anyone know of such a smart plug?

Alternatively is there a 'wifi' capable temperature sensor that integrates with HA so I could use that with a compatible smart plug to control my heaters?

I probably could do something with a ESP32 type device but that seems a bit too complex for something that seems so fundamental to smart control.

Cheers for any ideas.
calum

Have a look at the Sonoff TH. I have half a dozen of these, measuring temps in different places around the house. I only really use the temperature measurement capability for most of them, but they do have a switch built in so you can hardwire stuff. If I add a heater to my battery enclosure, I'll use one of these to control it.

Caveat - I have flashed all of my Sonoff kit with Tasmota firmware, which plays very nicely with HA. Auto discovery via MQTT, super reliable etc. i bought a cheap USB to serial interface with a specific chipset to do the flashing, it's not that difficult but everyone's level of experience varies. I don't know how well the native Sonoff firmware integrates with HA, as I've never tried it.

Looks like there is an integration available via HACS if you don't want to flash new firmware on things https://github.com/AlexxIT/SonoffLAN
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
Dave Foster

I also use Sonoff where I need a local temperature controlled loop - for example in my aquarium I have a Sonoff THR316 with temp probe in the tank, it locally turns on the heater when the temp drops below 22C, and off when above 24C.

I also use the TP-Link KASA KP105 smart plugs they don't have temperature but allow a 13A load to be switched on/off depending on HA sensor values - I use that for my inverter fans, battery heater etc.. where I can see the Inverter is hot by looking at the fins temperature and send an on command.

I would also recommend Meross smart plugs where you want to measure power as well as control, good for monitoring how much power an appliance is taking and turning it on/off if required.
Ched

Thanks very much for the info. I do have a couple of Sonoff controllers, in fact come to think of it I did have one of their temp probes and a switch (old version of TH16). Unfortunately I killed it due to moisture, I was controlling a small oil rad in my van last winter and I didn't protect it well enough from the condensation.
I will have a look at the new ones and see if there is an IP rated enclosure.
Just had a quick check regarding Tasmota firmware and its just a 4 pin header and ftdi which I should have in a draw somewhere. I will do a bit more digging, thanks.