Current limits

idpandjab

Just getting used to the system, AC1-5.0-E and two ECS4800 batteries. Current Klimt's at 35Amps default setting. When using a lot of power in the evening do cooking etc, the battery output gets clamped at 35A meaning we draw another 2kW from the grid for a period. Is this normal use or can the battery limit to up? Understand a trade between battery life and current consumption.

Thanks Ian
Attachments
IMG_0552.jpeg
calum

I don't think the AC-1 can go much higher, the datasheet says 40A as a maximum.

The battery datasheet recommends a maximum current output of 25A so you're already over that.

I suspect if you want to reduce the grid power you're importing while cooking, it's worth thinking about if you can change how many things you have drawing power at the same time.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
idpandjab

Thanks. Makes sense. I'll keep an eye on things and adjust as needed.
idpandjab

I just checked the sheet and it recommends 25A, but says max 50A.

Suspect durability done by fox is probably at the recommended, going higher reduces cycles/battery life.
Attachments
IMG_0553.jpeg
calum

The more batteries you have, the higher the voltage and the less load on each pack. As you have "only" two modules, 50A would be very hard on them. If you can afford to thrown some money at the problem then adding more battery modules will enable you to increase the current without being too hard on the battery bank.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
idpandjab

Thanks Calum, I was just coming to the same conclusion. I need to talk to the finance controller. An additional battery should see me through most loads. I sized it on pv capacity, as on a good day I had a spare 7-9 kW, so thought I didn't need more capacity. It's like driving a carafter playing your test,, the more you use it the more you learn and forums like this are a great help.