Adding Slaves To Cube.

EcoJones

EDIT:

Prasanna has made a document that explains the upgrade process, download it here:
viewtopic.php?t=54

Installers are charging silly money to upgrade my energy cube and Project Solar are even saying that it can't be upgraded to anything above 16kWh.

I've got an H1-6.0-E inverter.

After reading the manual that clearly states the ECS4 100 can be upgraded to 28kWh I decided to attempt the upgrade myself and have pre-orderd two more slave batteries, taking my 12kWh to 20kWh.

I have a City and Guilds certificate in electrical engineering so not a complete noob with electrics but this project is new to me and I would like to get it right first time.

Done some research and now have a basic idea of how this should be done but before I attempted it I would like to run it by a more experienced bunch of people to see if I've got it right or if I'm missing anything.

The basics I've found:

Wear rubber gloves.

Drain the existing battery to 50% (the new slaves come with 50% charge, this way they will match-up and balance better)

Turn off the DC switches from the solar.

Turn off the large red round power (kill) switch on the wall.

Turn off the battery power switch.

Remove the master battery.

Place the 2 new slaves on top of the other slaves.

Replace the master battery on top.

Set the DIP switch to the correct setting for the new slave/slaves.

Turn the powers back on in reverse order.

I've also noticed there is an earthing cable going from battery to battery up the whole cube stack, guessing that this needs to be carried onto the new slaves?

So that's where I'm at.

I'm hoping someone else will verify or explain where I'm going wrong.

Thanks.
Last edited by EcoJones on Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
100% electric house / car
6kW PV
6kW H1 Inverter
24kWh Energy Cube
Zappi Car Charger
ASHP

Datahopa Tech Com
Ibuk

That sounds like what I was planning.

Where have you ordered from and how much if you don't mind me asking.
Will
Site Admin

yep, that is spot on what I do when upgrading customers batteries. Cubes just make it easier as you don't have to mess around with brackets and cables. Please post pictures once done or get someone to record you upgrading it so we can create an upgrade video to help others.
Community Admin / FoxESS Professional

Buy me a coffee or Book a zoom meeting for remote consultancy

FoxESS Tri Inverter Installation
2 x KH Series Inverters
24 x HV2600 (62.4kWh)
32 x 490w across 4 arrays
Dual Tesla Household
Heatpump & Low Carbon Housebuild
EcoJones

Ibuk wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:43 pm Where have you ordered from and how much if you don't mind me asking.
Ordered the two slaves from The Battery Factory, total cost including delivery was £4193.
They are on pre-order and expected delivery date keeps getting put back.

Will wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:52 am yep, that is spot on what I do when upgrading customers batteries. Cubes just make it easier as you don't have to mess around with brackets and cables. Please post pictures once done or get someone to record you upgrading it so we can create an upgrade video to help others.

Thanks for the feedback Will, good to know I've got it about right.
I'm going to be taking pics for sure but making videos isn't really my thing. I will keep this topic updated as I go to help others.
6kW PV
6kW H1 Inverter
24kWh Energy Cube
Zappi Car Charger
ASHP

Datahopa Tech Com
Prasanna

Hi
Did you get the upgrade done yet? I am getting my extra cube slave batter day after tomorrow, Do i need to remove any screws before i lift the master and place the new slave on top of the existing slave? Please share your experiences? I have seen one big black hexagonal nut on the right side of the cells, I am hoping not to touch those.

Many thanks,
Prasanna
EcoJones

Prasanna wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:27 pm Hi
Did you get the upgrade done yet? I am getting my extra cube slave batter day after tomorrow, Do i need to remove any screws before i lift the master and place the new slave on top of the existing slave? Please share your experiences? I have seen one big black hexagonal nut on the right side of the cells, I am hoping not to touch those.

Many thanks,
Prasanna
I still can't locate any 4kW cube slaves in stock, you are ahead of me and I haven't got any more information to give.

However if you can, could you please share your experience of the upgrade. Your questions are good ones and I would like to know the answers to them as well, I'm sure others would too.

Thanks.
6kW PV
6kW H1 Inverter
24kWh Energy Cube
Zappi Car Charger
ASHP

Datahopa Tech Com
Prasanna

Hi,

I did upgrade over the weekend and have created a manual to follow, find it here

viewtopic.php?t=54

Hope this is helpful

Thanks,
Prasanna
Ibuk

I've had a Fox H1-3.7 Inverter and 12.09kWh Cube battery for a few months now and am delighted with how it is performing. I decided to add a little more battery capacity as there isn't quite enough with 12kWh to load shift all our usage onto cheap overnight rates.

So I ordered the ECS4100 slave battery to simply add to the stack it has arrived this morning with a very bold V2 sticker warning that it can only be used with a V2 BMS.

I'm aware that this is a well publicised 'thing' with the HV2600 batteries but nothing is mentioned about the Cube having a V2...

Has anyone come across this?
NoxX

Hi.

I'm planning to add CS4100 batteries to my system but ran in to same issue with V2 not being complatible with V1. It appears I have to throw away the brand new CM4100 V1, never used, and buy a new V2. Is this real? What about all the fancy marketing these batteries can be upgraded any time in the future. Anyone found a solution to this. Any feedback from FoxESS, as they don't care to reply to any of my emails regarding this subject?
MarcinKolodynski

I had the same problem, in October last year I bought additional slave cube CS4100 and turns out it was V2 slave. Fox replaced my old master CM4100 V1 for new one CM4100 V2.
stephenrhodes

EcoJones wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:28 pm
Prasanna wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:27 pm Hi

Many thanks,
Prasanna
I still can't locate any 4kW cube slaves in stock, you are ahead of me and I haven't got any more information to give.

However if you can, could you please share your experience of the upgrade. Your questions are good ones and I would like to know the answers to them as well, I'm sure others would too.

Thanks.
I found Ollie Morris at The Eco Supermarket for my additional slaves and I thoroughly recommend him.

024 7698 1489

info@theecosupermarket.co.uk

www.theecosupermarket.co.uk