Strange Load Power Numbers - Fox H1, Modbus

mgb66

I've managed to get my H1 inverter talking to HA via Modbus over ethernet.

All seems to working well, except there is something odd about the Load Power numbers.

In the charts below the blue line is the Load Power from the Cloud based HA integration and the green line is the Modbus HA integration.

The Modbus Load Power seems to be incorrect since this morning. Any ideas anyone?

Load Power.png
Dave Foster

Which modbus version are you using the original stealthchustnut version (where you include a modbus.yaml file) or the one that’s just come out which is installed as an integration.

If it’s the first one, i’m wondering if you’ve used the modbususb file instead of the modbuslan file (the register numbers are different) - it still works (kindof) but you get funny results.
mgb66

Dave Foster wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:42 pm Which modbus version are you using the original stealthchustnut version (where you include a modbus.yaml file) or the one that’s just come out which is installed as an integration.

If it’s the first one, i’m wondering if you’ve used the modbususb file instead of the modbuslan file (the register numbers are different) - it still works (kindof) but you get funny results.
I'm using the version from HACS and I've set it up with the LAN option in the configuration file. Interestingly the numbers seemed to match until around 08:00 this morning when the modbus version seems to have an offset compared to the cloud. All very strange.
mgb66

Even stranger, it seems to have sorted itself out around 18:00 this evening!

(Note charts are the other way around - blue = Modbus, green = cloud)

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 22.24.54.png
mgb66

I think I've worked out what's going on. The Load Power seems to be the power drawn by the house minus the power coming from my panels.

This may be a quirk of the way my system is configured.

My panels feed a Solaredge inverter and the output of that appears as a feed into the Fox system. I've struggled to find this value in the output from Fox but this seems to make sense.

Does this make sense to someone with more knowledge than me?
Dave Foster

Ahh right ok, that makes more sense - the later versions of the modbus LAN had the second CT meter added about 4 weeks ago - it’s called sensor.ct2 (or sensor.ct2_meter depending on version) if you don’t have it, update to the latest version.
mgb66

Dave Foster wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:17 pm Ahh right ok, that makes more sense - the later versions of the modbus LAN had the second CT meter added about 4 weeks ago - it’s called sensor.ct2 (or sensor.ct2_meter depending on version) if you don’t have it, update to the latest version.
I'm a bit puzzled, I've installed the version from here: https://github.com/StealthChesnut/HA-FoxESS-Modbus

and the CT 2 doesn't seem to appear on my install. The reference table https://github.com/StealthChesnut/HA-Fo ... e---H1-AC1 seems to imply this doesn't exist on the LAN version.
Dave Foster

That version is more of a self install, i.e. copy and paste into the modbuslan.yaml

The latest version does include CT2 but you would have to update manually.

If you copy and paste this code segment into your modbuslan.yaml, be careful that the format lines up with the other sensors ,save it and restart HA you’ll have a CT2 sensor.

Code: Select all

- name: "CT2"
      unique_id: foxess_inv1_ct2
      scan_interval: 5
      address: 31015
      state_class: measurement
      unit_of_measurement: "kW"
      data_type: int16
      scale: 0.001
      precision: 3
      input_type: holding    
      device_class: power

Attachments
3216BDC0-9F59-4DBF-A89D-E774A846F68B.png
mgb66

Thanks, is there a different version I should be using then, this is the version I found?
Dave Foster

There is a very new version which is much easier to install, it’s managed via HACS and just needs the basic configuration and off you go - I would highly recommend it as it’s easier and much faster, if you use RS485 rather than LAN access it allows a lot more control of the inverter (setting minsoc / maxsoc)

This is it here - https://github.com/nathanmarlor/foxess_modbus

If you are going to install this one, in configuration.yaml comment out the include file for your current modbuslan.yaml - then restart HA, then install this new one, otherwise you get duplicated sensor names.
mgb66

Thanks - I've got the new version working now. Still don't have the CT2 sensor, but that may be to do with my firmware version.
Dave Foster

mgb66 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:20 pm Thanks - I've got the new version working now. Still don't have the CT2 sensor, but that may be to do with my firmware version.
Thanks, just double checked and it’s not you ! - it is missing from the integration LAN definitions - i’ve just raised a request to add it back in to the next release.
Dave Foster

Dave Foster wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:45 pm
mgb66 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:20 pm Thanks - I've got the new version working now. Still don't have the CT2 sensor, but that may be to do with my firmware version.
Thanks, just double checked and it’s not you ! - it is missing from the integration LAN definitions - i’ve just raised a request to add it back in to the next release.
Ok, it’s being added now you should see sensor.ct2_meter on the next release :)
mgb66

Great thanks, working well now.
ricardo.amado

Just do add my 5 cents to this matter....

While using Cloud HA integration you see what is also presented in your mobile app, Readings every 5 minutes not computed (integration, max, avg). It is a pure screenshot in time. Regarding the modBus i can see more data/information, and with this approach you have more dots of information in time.

RA
H1-5.0-E inverter
1x CM2900 + CS2900 (5,1kWh net)
2160wp PV Array
Wallbox Pulsar Plus EV Charger
BMW i3 and iX3
Homeassistant