Setting a static IP address on your inverter

tony.matthews1

I was finding that the inverter ethernet port was switching off after a while. It seems there is a problem with DHCP so you may need to use a static IP address for the port to work. It took a while to work out exactly how to do this, so here's a step by step guide for anyone else.

First, go to your inverter front panel, About, MAC Address and make a note of the MAC address for the ethernet port on your inverter.

mac.jpg

Now, login to your router, find it's DHCP settings and add a static lease for your inverter using the MAC address. If you don't do this, there is a risk the router will assign the inverter's IP address to another device and wierd stuff will happen.

static.jpg
static.jpg (6.4 KiB) Viewed 1641 times

Make a note of the IP address, the router IP address (aka gateway) and the subnet mask. For my LAN, these are 192.168.0.31, 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 respectively.

Go back to the inverter front panel and go into Settings, Communication, Ethernet. When I first did this, the only selection I could see was DHCP. If this is the case, go into DHCP. You see Enable. Press the DOWN button. Disable appears. Press Enter. The inverter restarts and goes through checking etc for 60 seconds.

Go back into Settings, Communication, Ethernet and you should see the menu that includes IP address, Subnet mask and Gateway.

menu.jpg

Go into IP address and enter the IP address you allocated for the inverter (192.168.0.31 for me). When you press enter at the end, the inverter restarts and goes through checking etc for 60 seconds. When it's finished, go back into Settings, Communication, Ethernet.

Go into Subnet Mask and enter your subnet mask (255.255.255.0 for me). For me, this was set by default. If this is the case, press back. If you enter a different subnet mask, press enter at the end. The inverter restarts again. 90 seconds later, go back into Settings, Communication, Ethernet.

Go into Gateway and enter your router IP (192.168.0.1 for me). When you press enter at the end, the inverter restarts again. 90 seconds later...

Check the IP address in About, IP address. You can also ping the inverter IP address and you should get a response time <1ms and 0% loss.

ip.jpg

That's it, the inverter ethernet port is working on a static IP address and you can access ModBus data via home assistant. Follow the setup video from William Eccles and enter the IP address in your modbusLAN.yaml.

modbus.jpg
H1-6.0-E hybrid inverter
6 x HV2600 v2 batteries
16 x JA Solar 405w panels
7 x Tigo TS4-A-O optimisers
Holz

I get no connection to my H3-5.0-E with battery ECS2900.
When I look in the menue "Ueber/About" the IP-address is show as 000.000.000.000. The MAC address I found.
In the menue "Einstellungen/Settings" -> "Ethernet" there is only "->DHCP". (no "IP" or "Subnet mask").

Does someone knows why?
Does someone know what's to do?
Panels: 8x Vissmann Vitovolt 300 2,96 kWp (South)
Converter: H3-5.0-E
Battery: ECS2900 8,7 kWh
APfox

Holz wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:38 pm I get no connection to my H3-5.0-E with battery ECS2900.
When I look in the menue "Ueber/About" the IP-address is show as 000.000.000.000. The MAC address I found.
In the menue "Einstellungen/Settings" -> "Ethernet" there is only "->DHCP". (no "IP" or "Subnet mask").

Does someone knows why?
Does someone know what's to do?
Looks like a local network issue to me. So I would start looking there.
1. Is your inverter via the Ethernet port connected to the network?
2. Is that cable okay?
3. Do you see any activity on the switch/router port (blinking lights)?
4. Do you have access to your router/firewall/modem? Could you check if you can find the MAC address of the inverter there?
If not, there is no communication between inverter and your network and then we're back to 1., 2. and 3.
If the MAC address is listed I would try to assign a DHCP reservation. I never set static IP's anymore (you need to keep record of them somewhere), but I do assign al lot of DHCP reservations based on MAC.
H1-5.0-E1 inverter
ECS2900-H3
4400wp (SW) + 2000wp (NE) PV Array
HomeAssistant via WaveShare RS485 PoE to ETH (b)
no wi-fi (no stable connection)

goal: disconnect the FoxEss system from the internet completely and manage it from HA.
Holz

@APfox: Thanks for your hints. I made progress with it.
After I started "Activate" in the "DHCP" menu, the converter is actually displayed in the router. IP address is present in the converter and router. So far so good.
However, the connection is shown as disabled in the router. Is only active for the moment of the DHCP negotiation and during port scanning. I think that's normal and works.
My next steps will be to read the registers with a Modbus interface software.
THANKS!
Panels: 8x Vissmann Vitovolt 300 2,96 kWp (South)
Converter: H3-5.0-E
Battery: ECS2900 8,7 kWh