CT clamps - how many do I need?

markosabanovic

Hi, two weeks ago I've added a FOX inverter with 3 X HV25 batteries to the existing 16 x 200W array (with SolarEdge HD inverter) but the energy flow on the FOX Web app doesn't look right. I've changed the CT location 3 times following a call from the installer but no luck. Should there be one or two CT clamps in place in my existing system?
Fox H1-5.0-E inverter
3 x MIRA HV25 (7.5 kWh)
16 x 200W Array (installed 2012) with SolarEdge HD inverter
Dave Foster

Are you only using the inverter as a battery store ? (i.e. no panels attached), if you only have one clamp fitted the display might be a bit confusing as it’s only really there to detect export so it knows to charge the batteries with excess solar, the house load wouldn't look correct as the solar would appear to reduce it.
If you want to measure the solar production of your other solar inverter and get a better handle on the house load you will need to fit a second CT clamp.
gumpster1981

CT clamp at incoming supply to house and at existing solar inverter. It shows how to position them in the fox installation manual, make sure they are the weight way round with the arrow pointing in the weight direction or thing will get weird
12 x Trina 385W All black panels with Tigo optimisers
Fox ESS 3.7 Hybrid inverter
3 x Fox ESS HV2600 batteries
south facing roof in shropshire
went live in march 2022
markosabanovic

The company who installed the Fox inverter with batteries sent an electrician who's fixed the issue. Thank you all for your input
Fox H1-5.0-E inverter
3 x MIRA HV25 (7.5 kWh)
16 x 200W Array (installed 2012) with SolarEdge HD inverter
niko73

Hello, i've got the same system (solaredge hd + foxess inverters with 4 batteries)... The first time the system started the batteries charged until 20%.... now the charge showed on fox inverter is reducing and the power consumption is about 50W.... and the batteries don't recharge.. What is the matter? Thanks
Dave Foster

niko73 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:17 am Hello, i've got the same system (solaredge hd + foxess inverters with 4 batteries)... The first time the system started the batteries charged until 20%.... now the charge showed on fox inverter is reducing and the power consumption is about 50W.... and the batteries don't recharge.. What is the matter? Thanks
Which Fox inverter is it Hybrid(H1/H3)/AC1 ? - i'm assuming from what you have said that the Fox inverter doesn't have any solar panels fitted to it ?.

At first glance it sounds like the system charged up to the default minSoC setting of 20% and stopped there - possibly the CT clamp has not been fitted/is disabled or is fitted in the wrong place, but more information is needed to diagnose this.

It would be helpful if you could check the Fox app and let me know MinSoC and MinSoC settings, and if you have set any charge times.

It sounds like the Fox inverter is not seeing the solar generation from the solaredge, can you take a photo of the Fox app real time data screen and post it here (it shows house load, solar production, battery charge / discharge).