Technophobe trying to add new router to app

Julie

I ha have a new BT router and the fox app is now offline. I googled and tried to scan my qr code on my router, but the app doesn't want to know.
I searched the forum here for help, but don't understand the words being used.
It sounds like I need to go in loft and find an inverter. Is there a QR code on it, that I scan? What happens then? Please can someone help me?? Would really appreciate it!!
Dave Foster

The easiest way to stop this happening when you change the broadband is to change the ssid name and password of the new router so that it is the same as the old one - but you would have needed to have done that when you changed.

Whether the inverter is installed there is a wifi datalogger plugged into it, the datalogger has to connect to your router to send information to and from the cloud and so it will have the old routers ssid and password and has to be changed to work with the new one.

You need to have some basic IT skills and either a tablet or phone with wifi to do this.

Using the phone/tablet - if you are nearby the inverter (within 15 metres) you need to search for available networks - and the one you are looking for will be called something like 'W-XXXXXXX' where the 'xxxxxx' bit will be a alpha numeric pattern - i.e. something like '12AB345'

You need to select this wifi SSID to connect your phone/tablet to and it will ask for a password which is 'mtmt2020' - you should now be connected to the wifi datalogger. The next step is to open a browser and go to the address 192.168.1.1 - it will show a screen that allows you to select your new routers ssid name and it will ask for the password, enter them and click 'save' it should then connect to your wifi and within 10 minutes show on-line in your Fox app.

If you can see the datalogger there is a red light that will be flashing quickly when it isn't connected, once you have connected to it, it will flash slowly and occasionally there will be a green flash.

Will has done a video that shows how you connect to the datalogger, hopefully this will help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy8ASwQ984A
Julie

Thank you for your reply. I will try and get in the loft, not easy being no spring chicken!! Please can I ask if not having the app is going to make any difference to our solar performance? I never really looked at the information on the app, as I could never make sense of it!!! Can someone please confirm that I don't need to have the app if I don't want or need it??? Please advise and thanks for reading
Dave Foster

Julie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:56 pm Thank you for your reply. I will try and get in the loft, not easy being no spring chicken!! Please can I ask if not having the app is going to make any difference to our solar performance? I never really looked at the information on the app, as I could never make sense of it!!! Can someone please confirm that I don't need to have the app if I don't want or need it??? Please advise and thanks for reading
Hi Julie, hopefully you shouldn't have to get in the loft - you'll probably be able to see the dataloggers wifi in the bedroom below it, so that might make it easier.

As far as the solar is concerned, if you're not worried about setting battery charge times (assuming you have batteries), you aren't missing much in the app other than the sense check that it's still working - but you'll see that from your energy providers export statistics.
Julie

Really appreciate your help, thank you. I get as far as the W.... coming up as wifi but no option of putting a password in. It says connected with no Internet?
I've installed the 2 version of the fox app, but still same issues.
As long as the solar system works OK without app, I'll admit defeat!!! Just annoying for peace of mind to be able to see output and battery levels.
Dave Foster

Julie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:58 pm Really appreciate your help, thank you. I get as far as the W.... coming up as wifi but no option of putting a password in. It says connected with no Internet?
I've installed the 2 version of the fox app, but still same issues.
As long as the solar system works OK without app, I'll admit defeat!!! Just annoying for peace of mind to be able to see output and battery levels.
If you get connected to the W-xxxxx and it says connected/no internet you probably have the password already remembered by your phone (perhaps when you first set it up) - you should be able to open a browser window and enter the 192.168.1.1 address and (hopefully) see the page to set the ssid / password.

I've attached the guide so you can see what the screen looks like (step 3), but the video explains it much better
test1.jpg