Pv generation and battery question

Lee146

Not sure if this is a limitation with the system or a settings issue but if my panels are producing anything over 0.5kwh any excess load will be pulled from the grid instead of the battery helping.
I'm relatively new to solar systems so any information would be much appreciated.

I have a 3.680kwh H1-3.7-E inverter amd 2x HV25 batteries.
Dave Foster

Can I just check what you mean - are you saying that your batteries arn’t being used to meet the load if the PV isn’t high enough ?

If that’s right it sounds a lot like you have a charge period set with the charge from grid switch off - if you are not charging your batteries you must set the time periods to 00:00-00:00 otherwise with a period set and the grid switch off it sets it as ‘do not discharge’ during that time period.

Some other things to check, your ‘work mode; is set to self-use, your ‘min SOC’ & ‘min SOC on grid’ (also known as battery reserver) are both set to somewhere between 10-20% depending on your preference.
Lee146

Correct Dave if pv isn't producing enough it pulls from the grid not the full battery, when pv ceases completely then the battery will doscharge. as for charge periods I have set up a 2 hour slot overnight to take advantage of the low rate to refill the batteries.

Work mod is set to self use and min soc is 20%, below is a screenshot of my charge time settings, as for preventing discharge I have no idea how I would do that in the first place just about worked out the charge times.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240526_181420_FoxCloud20.jpg
Dave Foster

You need to remove the second ‘charge’ period 08:00-15:00 - because the charge from grid is disabled, this effectively sets your batteries to not discharge during that period and that’s the problem.

You only need the 02:05-04:55 period, the batteries will charge automatically from solar as long as the work mode is set to self-use.
Lee146

Wish that was made clearer in the app set up..., much appreciated will switch that 2nd option off so now looks like this, should hopefully do the trick.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240526_201848_FoxCloud20.jpg
Dave Foster

Yep that’s spot on now :)

It was changed about 6 months ago, there used to be 2 switches one for charge from grid and the other enabled the ‘don't allow discharge’ switch - when both were off it used to reset the times to 00:00 which was quite handy.
Lee146

Battery discharge seems a little choppy is this normal sorry to tag onto this topic again battery is discharging now but seems choppy if you look at the picture below shows pulling from grid aswell as pv and battery.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240527_204953_FoxCloud20.jpg
Lee146

I think I may be reading this wrong, starting to think load consumed includes battery ?
Dave Foster

Lee146 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:15 pm I think I may be reading this wrong, starting to think load consumed includes battery ?
It does yes, it’s basically your house load whether being provided by solar or battery.

On the grid import, it’s a grid tied inverter which means it has to syncronise to the grid and it does that by taking a small amount of power (less than 10 watts), when you are exporting it takes no power as it remains syncronised by sending power to the grid.

The other thing to mention is this isn’t real time data, its built from a data sample taken every 5 minutes so it doesn’t always match what is happening ‘now’ on your system it could be up to 5 minutes behind.