Adding batteries

MarkRS

I'm adding three HV2600s to my existing three. I hear rumour of a "how to" video for this but can't find anything. Can someone give me a link?

I s'pose it looks fairly straightforward. I've got the additional length cable pack so I can make two stacks instead of one and the manual showing what to plug to what seems reasonably obvious.

I can see information about changing the battery count dial on the BMS, but what about the DIP switches on each battery? The user manual says the BMS will handle the addressing "If the system is powered on for the first time". Does that cover this situation?
Dave Foster

I've not seen a video for the HV2600's specifically but follow the manual instructions closely, take lots of pictures and plan out the cable runs before you start to ensure you maintain the polarity.

The DIP switches on each battery should be left all off - whenever the BMS starts up it auto-negotiates with the pack and assigns them an address in the order they are from the BMS.

The rotary switch is set to the number of batteries you will have (less 2) so for 6 batteries it would be set to '4'.

A couple of things to note -
  • The new batteries will be approx 50% charged so make sure the rest of your pack is close to that when you power it off (or it will take a very long time to balance)
  • Power off everything, solar PV isolator off, AC isolator off, batteries off and battery isolator open before you start.
  • The RS485 cables between batteries starting with the first battery after the BMS should run from RS485-2 to the next batteries RS485-1 and on like that
  • You must connect the supplied earth cables so there is continuity between each battery, the BMS and the inverter.
  • 6 Batteries will be ~340V DC so once you have checked everything, double checked, and triple checked it again - you are ready for the BMS to be powered on, close the battery isolator, press the power button - the BMS lights will flash rapidly as it does it's negotiation and then settle down to a steady flash (no red errors).
  • Assuming there are no errors, power on the AC isolator, solar PV isolator and the inverter should start up (takes a minute or 2 of 'checking') with no errors.
  • On the inverter panel in System, Battery you can check the battery voltage which should be approximately 320V at 50% charge.
Finally after it has been running for 30 minutes, check the battery firmware versions at the Inverter panel About, Bat Ver - all of the slaves should have the same firmware version to maintain a health pack long term - if they are not and you have agent access update them to the latest version, otherwise email foxess service and ask them to update your batteries to the latest version.
MarkRS

Thanks for that Dave, really helpful to have it all in one place.

No, I don't have agent access, and given there's just been a firmware update (hasn't there?) then I'll contact FoxESS to update them all.

Are the dip switches just an old idea that's no longer needed?
And, does turning off the AC to the inverter cut the power in the whole house? I'd assumed it would, but now I'm wondering.
Dave Foster

MarkRS wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 am Thanks for that Dave, really helpful to have it all in one place.

No, I don't have agent access, and given there's just been a firmware update (hasn't there?) then I'll contact FoxESS to update them all.

Are the dip switches just an old idea that's no longer needed?
And, does turning off the AC to the inverter cut the power in the whole house? I'd assumed it would, but now I'm wondering.
Firmware wise the HV2600's have been relatively stable since March, but it's more than likely you will have a mismatch with the new ones once you have installed, the reason I say leave it running for a while before you check the firmware versions is, I have seen an install report all the same version at startup but a bit later once it had updated it then showed different versions - now I always check it about 30 minutes after startup.

The DIP switches used to be used for addressing, in fact if you set them the battery will use whatever you have set for it's ID but the BMS will throw a wobbly and reject it - so leave all the switches off - just for completeness I should mention I have seen a couple of battery packs where the dip switch was installed upside down so off was up instead of down.. just in case :)

When you turn the AC isolator off to the inverter the house will stay on and still be powered from the grid, the isolator just disconnects the inverter from the grid / house load.