New User: Step One - overnight battery charging

TonyDurrant

I have a new PV + battery installation (see signature), and want to eventually be on feed-in tarrif, be running from battery (self-generated or off-peak electricity as appropriate), manage my EV charging and be in control of it all (Home Assistant?).

Right now, I want to be able to start the day with a full battery charge, and gather some data before moving to Octopus Flux. This step will also help me to asses the battery size, and upgrade it if necessary.

I believe that at its most basic a charging from grid window can be set up via the control panel. I have the 'User Manual' for the inverter, which seems to show installation steps really clearly, but for Operations, merely gives a 'Function Tree' of the menus.
  • Is there any documentation to identify what each of the menu options means?
  • I have seen mention of web access to the inverter, How does one access this/is there any documentation?
  • Can this be done from the Foxcloud app (I have WiFi access to the inverter)?
I'm hoping somebody can help me take the first steps on this journey. Thanks!
FoxESS H1-6.0 Hybrid Inverter
3 x HV2600 (7.8kWh)
16 x 450w PV Panels
Zappi
EV Household
Dave Foster

As part of a new install I would expect you to have been setup with access to the Foxapp (or Foxcloud), using those you have easy access to set charge periods to do what you want to do.

If you haven't got access via web / app, try registering on the website https://www.foxesscloud.com/login and click the sign up link - you will need to datalogger serial number (that's your wifi dongle), but it must be connected to your wifi first - if it is flashing a red light slowly with an occasional green flash approx every 10 seconds then it is connected to your wifi.

If it isn't you need to connect it to your wifi first before you register it - see the guide below from step 3.
test1.jpg

As an aside you can change the charge periods through the inverter panel but it is clunky - you will find the menu option here -

You have 2 charge periods P1 & P2, set the start and end time, and enable charge - it should say (En) not (Dis)
IMG_1354c.jpg
TonyDurrant

My installer pointed me in the direction of the Foxapp, which I have been able to use on my iPhone since the installation. My issue seems to stem from the very poor UI design of the app and the lack of any useful documentation.

Thanks for providing the link to the web interface, which worked first time with my existing credentials. Whilst the feature that I needed to set the charge periods wasn't exactly obvious there either, I did manage to stumble across it, and following the same logic I was also able to find it in the phone app. I also found a manual for the web interface on the Foxcloud website, but of course it doesn't make any mention of the features I needed.

Anyhow, the good news is that thanks to your information I have been able to schedule battery charging, and I have also learned that Fox have a habit of hiding the features you're after. :D I will know to look harder in the future.

I am now starting the process of changing my tariff, and will be trawling the forums for advice on charging my EV next, followed by launching into the world of Home Assistant!

Many thanks for the pointer that got me going in the right direction.
3 x HV2600 (7.8kWh)
16 x 450w PV Panels
Zappi
EV Household
Dave Foster

Ok, that's great - many would agree the Fox app is not well designed ;)

There is a 3rd party app called Energy Stats written by Al Priest, it's much easier to use and most users prefer to use it over the Foxapp.

It's available on ios https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/energy-stats/id1644492526 and Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... kkgw&pli=1
v1lad

Dave Foster wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:07 am There is a 3rd party app called Energy Stats written by Al Priest.
But in this case, you are giving access and have to fully trust this app that it doesn't have a back door to your data.
FoxESS Hybrid-WR H3-8.0-E
FoxESS Batterie ECM 2900 Master/Slave with BMS
LiFePo4, 2,9 kWh x 3
Astronergy PV Modul CHSM54M-HC BL 400Wp x 20
Dave Foster

v1lad wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 am
Dave Foster wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:07 am There is a 3rd party app called Energy Stats written by Al Priest.
But in this case, you are giving access and have to fully trust this app that it doesn't have a back door to your data.
It is written by a forum member so at least he is well known, I guess you take your chances but not forgetting your data is stored in China on Chinese servers.
v1lad

Dave Foster wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:22 am It is written by a forum member so at least he is well known, I guess you take your chances but not forgetting your data is stored in China on Chinese servers.
yes this is a very interesting question, how does this comply with GDPR.
FoxESS Hybrid-WR H3-8.0-E
FoxESS Batterie ECM 2900 Master/Slave with BMS
LiFePo4, 2,9 kWh x 3
Astronergy PV Modul CHSM54M-HC BL 400Wp x 20
Dave Foster

v1lad wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:39 am yes this is a very interesting question, how does this comply with GDPR.
It seems to be covered here - https://www.foxesscloud.com/public/i18n ... y_web.html
TonyDurrant

It's been a couple of weeks since I asked my first question in the forum, and it was quickly answered, meaning that virtually every day since I have been able to power my home from a mix of solar and cheap-rate grid electricity.It is making a massive difference already to my energy bill - even during winter, the credit balance on my account is getting bigger, so thanks for the pointer in the right direction!

Also, thanks for mentioning the Energy Stats app, which I started using (on an Apple Silicon MacBook). I've also set it up to show Solar Forecasts, which makes it even better - tomorrow is its first big test for me and it forecast that I might generate about 8.5kWh, so I know that I should leave some space in the battery, or tap a little off into the EV in the morning.
3 x HV2600 (7.8kWh)
16 x 450w PV Panels
Zappi
EV Household