Fox Car charger

phoenix66

Hi all,

Does anyone have a Fox car charger? I am considering getting one as a secondary charger for excess solar only (Ohme primary charger connected to Octopus Intelligent), and would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience of Fox's offering. e.g. can it be set to just charge from excess solar power?

Thanks!!!
Jez1987

Also - does anyone have experience of installing a smart charger (any brand) after having Fox inverter, battery and solar installed? Easy process to intergrate? Any suggestions for suppliers/brands?
Dave Foster

@phoenix66 I've not seen a Fox charger here yet in the UK, as I understand it they will be selling through an existing EV charger brand (such as Project EV) but I guess still early days for it yet.

@Jez1987 - From personal experience I would recommend the Zappi EV charger, it is capable of using spare solar charge to charge the EV and for me has proven to be reliable and effective.

Whichever charger you choose the main thing to take into account when working with a Hybrid battery system is that it should be wired into a henley block (splitter) after the smart meter but before the hybrid charger CT clamp connection - that stops it discharging the battery when it starts charging, there are ways and means to get round it using home automation but by far the easiest is to wire it in correctly.

I've attached a schematic (with a growatt inverter) but the principal is exactly the same.
Attachments
IMG_1434.JPG
calum

FWIW (anecdotes not the same as data etc) I've also got a Zappi EV charger and have generally been pleased with it, although I'd recommend using ethernet rather than Wifi to connect it to the network, if you can. Wifi hasn't been as reliable as I'd expect, in my experience.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here