Batteries not charging - help

jonathanshaw81

Hi,

Hoping for some wisdom from the group. My HV2600 batteries are not charging from solar or from Octopus grids time slot overnight despite being set to.

I contacted my installer who state it transpires FoxESS batteries and possibly inverter can’t cope with colder temperatures. Huge omission on the basis hybrid inverter and batteries in attic which is cold at this time of year.

Has anyone heard of this? Anyone successfully managed
to recitify the issue?

Yours desperately,

Jonathan
Last edited by jonathanshaw81 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichSmith85

I've had the exact same conversation with my installers today :( My batteries live outside.

I'm looking for methods to warm them up now
jonathanshaw81

Frustrating one!

Have you got shortlist of options yet? I’m actually dropping the batteries into my landing cupboard but trying to source longer cables to run from inverter. Albeit don’t know if inverter needs to be moved as well.

Installer not being particularly helpful.
RichSmith85

I'm looking at drum heaters since they wrap around and can be set to anything from 20-90C. Downside is they are £400, part of me is tempted to ride it out since we don't get it this cold very often
jonathanshaw81

I’m going to try slightly lower tech first. Ordered a grow tent and going to use a small heater within controlled with a smart plug with temperature sensor.

If it works the avoids the big move and sacrifice if cupboard space.

My freezing/cold weather is slight more common outside Glasgow so need to find a solution.
Crazy_Ivan

jonathanshaw81 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:48 pm I’m going to try slightly lower tech first. Ordered a grow tent and going to use a small heater within controlled with a smart plug with temperature sensor.

My freezing/cold weather is slight more common outside Glasgow so need to find a solution.
Let me know how you get on with this, just got off the phone with Fox and they said the batteries are too cold; my 1930's loft with no felt obviously isn't the best place for them. At 10 degrees they will still charge at 2Kw, apparently it's a linear throttling back to zero degrees where the charge rate will be zero. The reason they do this is to stop dendrites forming between the anode and cathode of the batteries that would short them out.
9 x longi panels
1 x Fox 3.7 hybrid inverter
4 x Fox Mira Batteries
jonathanshaw81

Crazy_Ivan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:57 pm
jonathanshaw81 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:48 pm I’m going to try slightly lower tech first. Ordered a grow tent and going to use a small heater within controlled with a smart plug with temperature sensor.

Let me know how you get on with this, just got off the phone with Fox and they said the batteries are too cold; my 1930's loft with no felt obviously isn't the best place for them. At 10 degrees they will still charge at 2Kw, apparently it's a linear throttling back to zero degrees where the charge rate will be zero. The reason they do this is to stop dendrites forming between the anode and cathode of the batteries that would short them out.

Will do. Grow tent was delivered today. I’m in a 2012 built property so basically Attics shouldn’t be an install option unless specific adaptations are made. Pain in the backside.
markwdimelow

I had a similar problem it turns out the firmware needed updating.
Rang Fox's UK customer service line and it was sorted within 2 hours.
Hope this helps
Fox Hybrid Inverter H1-3.7E
Solar PV 3.85kwh - 10 Panels
Battery Mira HV25 8 units 20kwh
smoked_salt

markwdimelow wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:05 am I had a similar problem it turns out the firmware needed updating.
Rang Fox's UK customer service line and it was sorted within 2 hours.
Hope this helps
What number did you ring? I've tried the number on their website and emailing in but not getting any useful responses.
jonathanshaw81

The grow tent seemed to do the trick. Admittedly only got installed in the last two days of the cold weather but batteries charging and discharging as they should.

I’m keeping an eye on the battery temps and staying steadily above 13 degrees.
Ched

jonathanshaw81 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:09 am The grow tent seemed to do the trick. Admittedly only got installed in the last two days of the cold weather but batteries charging and discharging as they should.

I’m keeping an eye on the battery temps and staying steadily above 13 degrees.
What smart plug with temperature sensor did you get? I can't seem to find one.
Cheers