Cold nights?

mossdale

Hello,
Not long been a member so hoping someone can h
elp. We've had solar since the feed in tariff days so when we added a battery in June we went the AC route with nominal 10kW of HV batteries and an AC 5 inverter
These are mounted up in our loft which our installer said was fine. I was slightly concerned about overheating on the summer but it seams the opposite is true. When I force charge from off peak in the early morning the batteries usually charge at 4.7kW but for the last two mornings they have charged at only 2kW for some time before gradually climbing to the expected 4.7kW. The point the increase starts looks like a BMS temperature of 1 6.7 degrees reaching 4.7kW at about 19 degrees. Is this a temperature effect and do I need a small heater up there or would insulation of the battery stack suffice. Any help appreciated as this is a steep learning curve for me!

Martin
calum

Yes, they don't like the cold. Building an insulated box (9mm OSB lined with 50mm of EPS sheet) did the trick for mine which are in an unheated garage.

See also https://www.foxesscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=215
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
reef

This is my solution. Its 50mm polystyrene pinned together using weed membrane pins. The batteries themselves underneath have a standard fire blanket on for further insulation and fire protection.

The results have been miraculous. Previous to this temperatures were dropping below 15C on the pack overnight and like yourself, charging rate dropped. Ever since temperatures have been between 20-28C with an absolute minimum of 19.5C despite dropping as low as 2C outside.

It cost about £30 to do all in. A no-brainer really!