When a blackout occurs what happens?

lookatbowen

We charge batteries during the off-peak tariff of 21:30 to 02:30 (Octopus Go Faster 21H), and they discharge during the hours 02:31 - 21:29.

The installer showed me how to isolate my batteries and inverter when there is a power failure.
He said I must turn the Red on the yellow dial from the 12 o clock position to the nine o clock position, open a lid, and pull the fuse down; that way, we'll use the batteries to power the house during the blackout. That seems easy and logical enough to follow, but I have the following question, which he couldn't answer.

Scenario: it's 10:00, and the batteries are discharging for all our appliances, and we get an SMS from the power company alerting us to a power outage in our area. Would we notice this outage if we worked off the batteries all morning?

In what scenario would we have to go into the garage, switch the red dial off, and switch down the breaker, as mentioned above?

Perhaps I was confused by the term EPS (Emergency Power Supply) and thought it acted like a UPS (Uninterrupted power supply).

Is it possible to have some plugs in the house linked to the battery (plugs used by the router, NAS server or computer / Raspberry Pi that is always on)?
FoxESS ENERGY CUBE ECS2900 x 5 = 14500kWh
6kW H1-6.0-E hybrid inverter
Will
Site Admin

Sounds like you're manually turning on your EPS as you isolate the grid during a power cut.

Lots of good detail on the dedicated EPS topic here viewtopic.php?t=52
Community Admin / FoxESS Professional

Buy me a coffee or Book a zoom meeting for remote consultancy

FoxESS Tri Inverter Installation
2 x KH Series Inverters
24 x HV2600 (62.4kWh)
32 x 490w across 4 arrays
Dual Tesla Household
Heatpump & Low Carbon Housebuild