I have a Marlec Solar iboost on my Solar system. This heats the hot water when Excess Solar is detected. I have recently had a Fox ESS EVO10 fitted and I would like to continue with the Solar iboost as before. What do I need to do if anything to ensure that the iboost only switches in when the battery is full and the excess is being sent back to the grid. I have read that I may have to adjust the Solar iboost threshold above the battery cut in threshold.
I’m not sure whether they have added that function, it never used to be there - essentially this device looks at any unused solar export and uses it to heat the water and there is no way to override that operation.
I know some people that have fitted time switches to them to disable them during certain times so that they can export the maximum power to the grid.
I know some people that have fitted time switches to them to disable them during certain times so that they can export the maximum power to the grid.
Thanks Dave. I can adjust the Solar iboost in 50w increments, that facility exists in the new models. Mine is only 4 months old. My main question is do I need to do anything with the iboost now that the battery is working. I ask the question because I have received a couple of answers. One saying that the when used in conjunction with the fox ess battery I do not need to do anything and another answer saying that I should adjust the iboost threshold to 250w to ensure that the battery takes preference until it is full. So I’m a bit confused with the conflicting answers.
Sorry also meant to say that the standard default setting on the iboost is 100w threshold. Therefore when it detects any draw above that it cuts out to prevent getting power from the grid until the draw drops below 100w when it cuts in again, and continues using the Solar for the water heating. I have been told that because it uses a sensor around the export cable then it will sense when power from the battery is being exported and switch on the immersion heater. Logic tells me that there will only be power in the export cable once the battery is full and it starts to export. I just need this confirming.
Yes as far as the Fox system is concerned in normal use it will be set to work mode ‘Self Use’, any solar produced will firstly cover house load, and then charge the battery - only once the battery is full will it start to export to the grid (or if solar production exceeds the maximum inverter output which is unlikely). That export is what the iboost will see and use if it’s above your threshold.
The only time to worry about the iboost using your battery power, is if you were to do a force discharge (this only happens if you set a schedule to do that) - i.e. you will use the battery to force export power to the grid and the iboost will see this and use it to heat the water.
That’s obviously not a bad thing, but some people have tariff’s like Octopus Flux where there get paid a high rate to export between certain hours of the day, hence them fitting a timer switch to disable the iboost between these hours so that it doesn’t take and forced export)
Hope that makes sense, it’s quite the steep learning curve with all this tech working together but ask any questions you have and we’ll do our best our best to answer them.
The only time to worry about the iboost using your battery power, is if you were to do a force discharge (this only happens if you set a schedule to do that) - i.e. you will use the battery to force export power to the grid and the iboost will see this and use it to heat the water.
That’s obviously not a bad thing, but some people have tariff’s like Octopus Flux where there get paid a high rate to export between certain hours of the day, hence them fitting a timer switch to disable the iboost between these hours so that it doesn’t take and forced export)
Hope that makes sense, it’s quite the steep learning curve with all this tech working together but ask any questions you have and we’ll do our best our best to answer them.
Thank you Dave. Seems my logic was correct. I had thought about the timer for when I change my tariff and a forced discharge is in place. So thanks for confirming that. Yes a steep learning curve, I’m still trying to get my head around the new lingo and abbreviations. Thank goodness for google.