Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
Hi Everyone,

I've just had a H3-15.0-Smart installed along with an EQ4800-9.

I am on the Globird ZeroHero plan in Queensland Aus and I would like to set the schedule so the battery will sell to the grid between 6pm and 9pm but once it gets to a predetermined SoC it should revert to Self Use.

Last night I had it set up but I noticed the Forced Discharge mode will get to x% then import power from the grid and not use what is in the battery. This cost me the ZeroHero bonus $1 for the night.

Having this feature of hitting the trigger and changing mode would be much better than a set time.

If there is already a way to do this please let me know
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
There are two things here to know.


You may want to set up if you haven't already with your installer, "Meter Compensation" check 3min 25sec into Will's video. This will allow your system to keep "pushing" back small amounts of power from the grid, allowing the import of energy during peak to be near to 0 Watts.


There are some new firmwares being baked by Fox currently, so they should switch modes once you acheive the %SoC.
Currently the logic is that the TIME and SoC both have to be satisfied. So until the time period completes, you will keep drawing off the grid.


The final solution is to wait it out (newer firmwares) or use other control methods to change the behavior.
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
Thanks for that info.

That video shows a section I can't see in fox cloud. I've only got an end user account though. Is there a way to change that?
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
Ideally you need to ask your installer to adjust the settings for you, if they are unwilling or don't have a clue, then you'll be asking Fox to adjust the meter compensation for you.

Some users have been able to create an installer account, if the installation company didn't make one. You will need a 2nd email address and instructions on how to do this if they haven't.
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
Even when foxess finally allow reverting to self use when the minimum SoC is reached, it's still not really doing what most people want:

If I say I want to force discharge between 6pm and 8pm to a minimum of 30%, and I start the session with a 40% SoC, I don't want it to discharge at full power for the first half hour, then drain further for the next 90 minutes due to self use. This means by 8pm I could be critically low and don't have enough energy to get through the night.

It would be fairly simple for the inverter to notice when it starts at a relatively low SoC and wait until near the end of the period before discharging, meaning that the only time you get to 8pm with a SoC under 30% is when it didn't force discharge at all.
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
While I agree it would be nice to have a range of options and a more powerful If this then that type system I think you can do what you want with 2 schedules. One to get down to say a safer 40% then another when it is closer to the end of the period where it takes it down to 30%. That way the middle part will have 10% to play with and if it isn't there then it will revert to self use... Of course this is contingent on them updating the firmware to allow self use fall back
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
you're right, and that was my approach initially. I did something similar for force-charge too: I wanted high SoC by the end of the free charging period, but to only get there by the end. Setting up multiple phases (charge to 50% in the first hour, then 70% in the second hour etc) gave a "poor man's" version of what the inverter should do automatically.

At least, for people with Home Assistant, there are options to work around the poor force-discharge implemention. Reverting to self-use would be a very big step forward, but who knows how long it will take to arrive?
Re: Forced Discharge then revert to Self-Use when SOC=x%
I was coming here to post a suggestion of dynamic charging/discharging which is what you a really after.
I currently use the 2 tier scheduling in order to get to a figure close to that desired. Then try a final schedule at the end to force the final target but I can never get it to be exact.

My thought is that if you schedule a discharge from 1800-2000 and wish to stop at 30% SOC the system dynamically adjusts the discharge rate in order that it arrives at or close to 30% at 2000. It could do this by taking regular samples and increasing/decreasing rate dependant on recent data. Obviously if no solar is being generated ,no consumption is being used by the home and the inverter didn't start reducing charge rate, it would be a straight forward linear calculation and we could do that ourselves but that will never be the case so this method would enable the system to take account of these variables.
Solar Panels: Aiko Neostar 3S 475W All Black ABC N-Type Mono × 18
Inverter: Fox ESS KH 7kW 1ph Hybrid Inverter
Battery: Fox ESS EP6 Plus 5.76kWh Li-ion Battery w/ heating function
Post Reply