Does it work? Is it a box of flashing lights only?

Shawnlee

New system installed this week. But we can’t see anything on the app and the inverter display is confusing to me.
On the app everything is zero and or offline.
On the inverter, which is in the loft and not easy to review as and when, the menu makes little sense but one item titled SoL or something says 98%.. is this the battery??
H1 37e is the model.
Although we’re new to this stuff I’m already disappointed. How can I budget the household like this! We invested thousands into this.
Can I force the business to fit a newer model?
If it is simply an app issue then it is as bad as I if it was an inverter problem as we can’t tell what’s going on.
Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Ps our fibre BB is very good connection throughout the house.
calum

Hi there

It's a little odd to me that the installer has apparently left you without checking that you got the app set up correctly. Was it working earlier in the week and now it's not, or has it never worked?

The front panel doesn't have space for much information, by default it will show you SoC (State of Charge) for the batteries, and Power ie how much power it's producing at that moment.

The way it all works is there is a WiFi module connected to the underside of the inverter. It has a red flashing light that flashes slowly when it's properly connected, and rapidly when it's not. Once this is connected to the internet it sends readings to Fox's servers, and you can view that data either via the app or via the Foxcloud website.

The Wifi module also allows the inverter to accept remote commands to change things like when (or if) it charges from the grid. If it's not connected, you'll get exactly the problems you're seeing.

To resolve this, get as close to your inverter as you can, with your phone in hand. There should be a wifi network showing up with a name in the form `W-....` - for instance 'W-AAA1AAA'. Connect to that network (default password is 'mtmt2020'). You will get a warning saying the network has no internet - choose to connect anyway. Once connected, go to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser. You can then change the WiFi details the datalogger will connect to on that page. Assuming this works, you should start to see data in the app / on the website shortly afterwards.
H1-3.7 / 6xHV2600 / 14x400W / RS485 Modbus->HA
FoxESS Modbus HA Integration
Contact Fox here
Shawnlee

He just left saying it needs a firmware update and he’d sort it. He didn’t.
The installer company appears not to have Fox products now so I wonder if they sold me one of the last items they had.
I’m only more concerned because the app reviews are terrible for the UK product. And appears likely to not work well for most.
I’ll try to follow those steps but can’t this be done remotely?
The business want paying soon and I’m hesitant but hands tied.
Shawnlee

Is my inverter an old model, discontinued maybe?
Shawnlee

Sorry, i don’t follow your instructions. What do you mean change the Wi-Fi details and change them to what ?
There is a flashing red light, it’s pulsing every second, hardly rapid though. What’s this mean??
calum

Flashing once a second probably means your WiFi dongle isn't connected. Have you been able to connect to the W-******** WiFi network and visited the address mentioned?
When you do so it will show you a list of the WiFi networks the dongle can detect, let you select one and ask you to enter the password for it. Once done it should then connect.

Separately, I'm wondering why you think your inverter is old or discontinued?
Contact Fox here
Shawnlee

Because the installation company fit several machines, looking at their website, but Fox is not, or is no longer, on their list. Perhaps i have old stock they want to shift.
My model number is above, is it discontinued?

I have visited that address, so I put in my own WiFi password?
calum

The H1 is still current https://www.fox-ess.com/1-phase/ Presumably your supplier has decided to stop supplying them for whatever reason - you'd need to ask them.
I put in my own WiFi password?
Yep - just as if you got a new computer or whatever - you need to tell it how to use that WiFi network so it can talk to the internet. This is all stuff that the installer should have run through with you - disappointing that they appear to have neglected this entirely.

EDIT:
I’ll try to follow those steps but can’t this be done remotely?
At the moment nothing can be done with your inverter remotely because it's not connected to the internet.
The business want paying soon and I’m hesitant but hands tied.
I'd say you're in a position to refuse to pay (in full at least) until they finish the job.
If they can't / won't do so, you can ask Fox to update the firmware for you - see the link in my signature.
Contact Fox here