Physical connection to the Inverter

nimarchetti

Hi, I've just got my PV system installed yesterday (after 9 months wait!!), and I'm already desperate for more stats now the sun has come out today!

I've been looking at the various methods, and I'm a little reluctant to use LAN as it seems a firmware update could very likely break it.

So looking at wiring in the modbus, I'm just wondering how youve actually made the physical connection. Have you bought a connector and soldered wires to it, or have you just jabbed wires into the holes?! I haven't had a chance to get in the loft and look at whats there, but from my understanding there is already something using the COM port, so how to I make my connections alongside it?

Thanks
Nik
Ibuk

The connector that is already there will likely have your CT clamp connected to it. It is easy to dismantle and add your cabling to the screw terminals for Pins 3 and 4 for RS485 so no need to solder or hack anything at all.
Forest124

> add your cabling to the screw terminals for Pins 3 and 4 for RS485

This part I understand and can easily do. I’ve dismantled the RS485 connector previously. But can you explain what is on the other end of these wires and where does that go to?

Many thanks!!
Fox ESS KH10.5 Hybrid inverter
15 x Longi 550W solar (8.25 kw)
Fox ESS Cube 3 * 4.7kw (14.1 kw)
Ched

You need something like this https://amzn.to/3psSByE to convert RS485 to a usb or there are RS485 to wifi adapters. There is some more info in the Home Assistant threads.
I have the above connected to a Raspberry Pi2 running Home Assistant and it works great.
canton7